Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs is seeking a dynamic individual as an electronic design engineer in support of Thorlabs Laser Division's ongoing development of innovative ultrafast laser systems. They will work with a team of engineers focusing on photonic product development, where this engineer will be responsible for, but not limited to, custom PCB design and bring-up, integrating third-party components, cabling and cable drawings, working with vendors, and compliance testing. The successful candidate is expected to work with a minimum of supervision in a fast-paced environment and to simultaneously handle multiple projects.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design, Analysis and Test of analog, low noise, high frequency electronics
- Mixed Signal board layout experience
- Evaluate and document test results. Develop procedures for production of designs
- Provide general hands-on experience prototyping and manufacturing support
- Develop, monitor, and maintain product development schedules
- Create and support design specifications and documentation requirements
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Electrical design tools, e.g. Altium is a must
- Soldering, designing, and modifying prototype boards is a must
- Releasing designs to production
- BS, with strong preference for 5 years of experience
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience in circuit design
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to calculate/simulate circuits
- BOM maintenance, ERP, and ECO processes
- Debug and troubleshooting of hardware in the lab, using tools like Oscilloscope, Signal Generator, etc.
- Good communication skills, specifically in generating production test and assembly documentation