Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs is seeking candidates for the role of Test Software Engineer to participate in the development and manufacture of next generation semiconductor lasers. You will be responsible for developing automated test systems and releasing them to production. This position requires hands on work with laser laboratory equipment for the design, assembly, and troubleshooting of automated manufacturing tests, with a focus on software development. This involves taking electro-optic tests from proof-of-concept to manufacturable automation. Test Engineers work directly with electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, product engineers, assembly personnel, and other electro-optic engineers to ensure that designs and manufacturing techniques will yield products which meet the customer's specifications.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Conceptualize and design automated software within an existing framework for electro-optic systems
- Integrate manufacturing feedback into the functional data collection and/or user-interface of existing test systems
- Maintain documentation for the system development process
- Create assembly and test work instructions; train and transfer to manufacturing engineering team
- Prototype, develop, and transfer queries and query-based reports for use in manufacturing
- Prototype, develop, test & qualify new test systems for use in manufacturing as needed
- Create budgets and schedules for new developments as needed
- Specify & purchase all parts and equipment required; interact with vendors
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Experience using .Net, Python, or similar software to automate testing and data acquisition of test equipment and/or motion control
- Experience with optoelectronic devices and optical test equipment
- Hands-on experience in the photonics industry, laser or physics lab is a plus.
- Bachelor or Master's Degree (or higher) in Computer Science, Electrical/Mechanical/Optical Engineering, Physics, or related field(s) is required.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in application development using .Net, Python, or similar development tools.
- Experience in software-based configuration, data acquisition, and control of test equipment.
- Experience with modern software development best practices
- Problem resolution skills for debugging new designs and assemblies
- Experience interfacing with SQL or other databases is a plus
- Experience with FFT / signal processing for imaging is a plus
- Manual dexterity to work on free-space and fiber-based opto-mechanical systems
- Tool and fixture making (hobby or professional) experience is a plus.
- Soldering /circuit design experience is a plus.
- High attention to detail
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment
- Ability to function autonomously with little direction/works well independently
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment