The Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) project has been established to design, build and eventually operate an Extremely Large Telescope (ELT) with a primary mirror diameter of 30 meters. ELT’s will be the successors of the present day 8-10 meter world class telescopes. When complete the TMT will be the largest ground based optical/infrared telescope in the northern hemisphere providing the capability to study exciting astronomical problems from the nature of extra-solar planets to the first stars in the universe. An international collaboration consisting of the University of California, the California Institute of Technology, Canada, Japan, India, and China has been formed to deliver this exciting project.
The TMT project recently entered construction and will be completed and ready for science operations in 2034. The TMT project office is located in Pasadena, CA, USA. The design and build of the various telescope systems will be distributed amongst the TMT partner institutions, collaborators, industry, and the Project Office.
TIO is seeking an Assistant Project Control Analyst. Interested candidates will gain experience in Project Controls and Earned Value Management, and will be responsible for tracking, analyzing, and reporting cost controls associated with the project. We are seeking a hard-working, energetic, and dedicated individual to contribute to the overall success of our project as well as provide opportunities for career growth and advancements within the organization. In this role, you will have opportunities to work independently as well as collaborate with key functional stakeholders including Project Management and Engineering. Successful candidates will demonstrate an aptitude for efficiency, problem-solving, and resourcefulness, with a commitment to quality while developing their leadership skills as a key business partner.
Responsibilities may include the following assignments
- Assist with managing program financials including development of time-phased integrated budgets and schedules, Earned Value (EV) data compliance and reporting, cost accounting and ongoing management of cost and schedule integration.
- Assist with budgeting, cost control and variance analysis, internal/external reporting, risk management, and financial support.
- Assist in the development of estimates; analysis/assist in accurate projection of Estimate to Complete (ETC), Estimate at Complete (EAC), and Latest Revised Estimate (LRE) data.
- Assist with organization of Work Breakdown Structures (WBS) and job cost accumulation.
- Assist work force planning, forecasting, and reporting.
- Assist in Preparation of Work Package Documents; creation and maintenance of charge numbers.
- Assist in monitoring costs and work force ensuring that actuals are within budget and charged to the correct end cost objective.
- Assist with generating EV reports, graphs, and analysis, as required.
- Assist with providing the Project Management Office and Cost Account Managers with internal reports on cost and schedule performance.
- Support the project change control process.
- Assist with performing ad-hoc analysis, data integrity checks, and validations related to project needs.
- Typically, 5+years of Project Controls or Cost Estimating experience.
- Strong leadership, mentoring, and training skills.
- Ability to manage priorities in order to meet deadlines.
- Excel proficiency (to include Lookup/Index/Sum functions and pivot tables).
- Possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and work quality.
- Knowledge of concepts and techniques related to program controls.
Applicable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Demonstrates expertise with MS Office.
- Well versed with MS Excel spreadsheets with advanced functions including pivot tables, data integration, advanced manipulation, and building templates.
- Knowledgeable with Earned Value Management Cost Tools such as Cobra, Open Plan, Primavera, MS Project or similar.
- Experience or exposure in performing cost or schedule controls and analysis functions.
General Non-technical Skills Required
- Solid skills in analysis and reasoning.
- Experience supporting groups and teams on large projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with both technical and non-technical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Respect, understand, and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Required Education (including Major)
Requires a related University Degree or equivalent experience (Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or related).
TMT offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including impressive retirement plans. If you are interested in applying for employment with TMT, please apply online.
TMT is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.