Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
This is a full time, salaried, staff position at the Thorlabs UFO division in Ann Arbor, MI. This person will be responsible for all aspects of hardware mechanical design as they relate to the development of new products and production support. They will also be key to establish and maintain accurate BOMs and support full assembly & test documentation as well as documentation for the company ERP system.
Essential Job Functions (include, but are not limited to, the following)
- Provide full mechanical design support for new product development
This includes thermal and stress models and evaluations, mostly in SolidWorks.
- Design products suitable for lean manufacturing techniques
- Verify & test product designs with theoretical models and simulations
- Specify & purchase all mechanical parts; interact with vendors
- Design and deploy fixturing for both development and manufacturing functions
This includes full mechanical support through the NPI process
- Maintain documentation for the product development process in ERP
This includes creating and maintaining official title block drawings
- Create assembly and test work instructions
- Coordinate mechanical designs with optical and electrical requirements
- Design and develop hermetic and high-reliability opto-electronic packages
- Interact with local and remote machine shops for production services
- Interface with manufacturing engineering function
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- 5+ years of precision, high-quality, high-rel., product design experience
- Experience with FEA modelling for thermal and/or stress analysis
- Experience with die level semiconductor handling and assembly a plus
- BS or MS in mechanical engineering or related field
- Any other pertinent certifications in mechanical design
Special Knowledge or Skills:
- Expert with mechanical design software (e.g. AutoCad, Solidworks)
- Design of opto-mechanical components for laser applications
- Comfortable with fusion of optical, electrical, and mechanical design elements
- Knowledge of fiber-optic products and assembly fixturing techniques
- Design of semi-automated fixturing (pneumatics, electro-mechanical, etc.)
- Candidate must be detail oriented, highly organized, & able to document work
- Candidate must have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Comfortable in start-up type environment; self-motivated individual