Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
Glass Fabrication Technicians fabricate ultra high-purity glass products in Thorlabs’ cutting-edge fluoride optical fiber production facility. These glass products (preforms) are used to manufacture exotic optical fibers. In addition to manufacturing glass products, glass fabrication technicians participate and assist the engineering staff in both R&D projects and troubleshooting of the production line.
Glass fabrication technicians work under the direction of Fiber Manufacturing Manager. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Work with raw material powders and molten glass to fabricate various glass pieces (preforms) for use in optical fiber manufacturing.
- Follow detailed and complex written procedures to fabricate products
- Follow detailed written instructions to perform experiments for R&D projects
- Take notes and record results & deviations for all activities
- Work in a laboratory/production environment with various hazardous chemicals and sensitive equipment.
- Work in a glovebox for over 50% of the workday
- Clean equipment and tools frequently to maintain an extremely clean work environment
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Very strong attention to detail
- Ability to follow long & complex procedures without deviation
- Ability to perform delicate/intricate tasks by hand
- Ability to use basic hand tools
- Familiarity with metric measurements and basic math skills (decimals, unit conversions)
- Proficiency in basic computer use (Word, Excel) and communication tools
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Strong ability to work well in a team, and comply with high quality standards
- Ability to work alone and self-motivate
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.