Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position performs general drafting and product support under the direct supervision of engineers. Assists in the development of new products as well as the maintenance of released products. Provides support to purchasing and production with troubleshooting and product, document, or process modifications. This is done through the generation and revision of technical drawings, standardized documents, and data entry. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, the very rare occasion may require undertaking duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Take on and assist in engineering projects with a willingness to learn about products relating to free space optics, fiber optics, and opto-mechanics.
- Create and revise 3D CAD models, in addition to manufacturing and support drawings.
- Generate and revise controlled documents such as work or assembly instructions, specification sheets, and product manuals.
- Implement product and process revisions through engineering change orders.
- Perform and aid engineers in product testing to ensure performance specifications are met.
- Interact with production personnel to define and solve manufacturing/design issues and implement cost reduction ideas with regard to company products.
- Perform training of new or revised controlled documentation for production teams.
- Conduct meetings to present engineering projects to engineering and manufacturing teams.
- Perform liaison function between engineering team and all manufacturing operations for any related issues, problems, or improvements.
- Formalize technical data such as qualification test procedures, acceptance test procedures, reports, component maintenance manuals, etc.
- Support engineering projects through aid in market analysis, identifying applications, gathering customer requests, manufacturing capabilities, costs, capacity, projected sales, and any other driving forces.
- Interact with vendors and purchasers concerning supplied and proposed components.
- Advise supervisor of work status, workload, problems, and progress as related to work assignments.
- Assists lab testing, manufacturing, quality, and planning as required.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
The employee must be capable of occasionally moving objects up to 25 pounds.
- Some industry experience is desirable, but not required.
- High School diploma or equivalent. Advantageous having a technical degree, preferably in or relating to Drafting, Manufacturing, Statistics/Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Optics/Photonics, but not required.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficiency in basic computer programs (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word) and web tools.
- Experience with 3-D modeling applications, ideally Solidworks.
- Proficiency in comprehending and generating technical drawings.
- Familiar with ERP software and data entry.
- Proficient with documentation such as ECRO’s, Item Master, BoMs, and Routes.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work well in a group environment through good written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess basic mechanical aptitude and use of hand tools.
- Clear sense of ownership and ability to work independently.
- Comfortable shifting between tasks to accommodate changing production needs creating dynamic priorities.
- Customer centric driven decision making skills.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.