Spectra-Physics, Ophir and Newport are brands within the MKS Instruments Light & Motion division. We provide a full range of solutions including lasers for precision industrial and scientific research applications, laser and LED measurement, beam profiling, precision motion control, optical tables and vibration isolation systems, photonics instruments, opto-mechanical components and optical elements. MKS Light & Motion solutions enhance our customers’ capabilities and productivity in the semiconductor, industrial technologies, life and health sciences, research and defense markets.
Globally, our policy is to recruit individuals from wide and diverse backgrounds. However, certain positions require access to controlled goods and technologies subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Applicants for these positions may need to be “U.S. persons.” “U.S. persons” are generally defined as U.S. citizens, noncitizen nationals, lawful permanent residents (or, green card holders), individuals granted asylum, and individuals admitted as refugees.
MKS Instruments, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We solicit and hire applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected category. Our policy is to employ the most qualified applicants. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with company policies and federal and state guidelines.
re you naturally curious? At MKS our collective curiosity drives us to be an innovation leader in many industries. Our products drive advancements in a wide range of technical fields like cloud computing, the generation of clean drinking water, self–driving cars, and space exploration. We are a collaborative team that values fresh thinking and believes in mutual respect, constructive candor, diversity, and inclusion. Our customers value us as a partner and trust us to continually push the boundaries of possibility. We believe in creating technology that transforms and improves our world and are looking for new team members who share our vision. If this is appealing to you, we want to meet you.
The Integrated Solution Business (ISB) Group of MKS Instruments is growing very rapidly with significant strategic investments in the development and fabrication of cutting-edge, high precision opto-mechanical assemblies. To manufacture these products, the ISB Division is seeking a creative Principal Mechanical Engineer to join our team. In this position, you will plan, conceptualize, design, test, and document complex, high-precision opto-mechanical components and subassemblies. If you have a passion for working with cutting-edge technology, this is the role for you.
What you will do is:
- Perform product development activities that could include new or modified designs for new or existing products and document changes of mechanical, opto-mechanical modules, systems and instruments.
- Interpret requirements from customer input and utilize industry best known methods.
- Participate in feasibility studies and develop cost estimates for systems, testing, development labor, etc.
- Develop and execute product verification tests. Troubleshoot opto-mechanical assemblies and/or final systems.
- Have opportunities to work cross-functionally with Systems Engineers, Optical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, and with Reliability and Manufacturing to ensure successful phase gate transitions.
What you will bring to the role and to our team are the following qualifications and engineering skills:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, or equivalent discipline, and 8+ years of experience.
- Hands-on experience in assembling, aligning and testing opto-mechanical systems.
- Skilled in developing and implementing test procedures and evaluating and selecting appropriate test instrumentation.
- Understanding and experience with state-of-the-art manufacturing and metrology.
Familiarity with any of the following would be a plus:
- Hands-on experience with building opto-mechanical subassemblies, fixturing and aligning methods.
- Experience with modern cost-effective manufacturing methods for high, medium and low volume production.
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) simulation of stress and displacement.
- Experience in architecture and design of complex opto-mechanical systems.
- Fluency in Korean could be an advantage to support key customer projects.