Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position is responsible for set-up and operation of CNC Machines in compliance with inch and metric drawing specifications. Responsible for the proper use and maintenance of all measuring tools and devices used in inspection of all components. Works under general supervision. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for set-up and operation of CNC machines in compliance with inch and metric drawing specifications.
- Possess the ability set up and operate manual mills, lathes and other secondary equipment.
- Thorough understanding of blueprint reading and geometric tolerancing.
- Works independently and inspects his or her work to the specified standards on the drawings.
- General housekeeping in the work area which includes preventative maintenance on the CNC machines. Performs other duties as required to ensure efficient operation of the shop.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in a similar position preferred plus training in CNC Programming
- High School Diploma or equivalent or equivalent work experience
- CNC certification or CNC Trade School, a major plus
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of Lean Principles including “Just in Time”, and Setup Time Reduction a plus
- Prototyping experience a plus
- Strong sense of ownership and work ethic, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient computer skills is a must
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards.
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.