Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position is responsible for providing technical support by solving problems, trouble shooting and working with customers to guide them to the best possible product solutions for their applications and experiments. The position works with several other application and design engineers that have years of experience covering: optics, lasers, polarization, fiber, opto-mechanics, spectroscopy, microscope imaging systems, OCT, thin film coating and more. Between onsite lab opportunities and peer review, the position can be exposed to every facet of the photonics industry. The position is primarily at our headquarters in Newton, NJ but there may also be opportunities to travel to tradeshows, other Thorlabs manufacturing facilities (foreign and domestic), and training events on and offsite.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Drafting proposals for customer Engineering Services
- Provide technical support via phone, web chat & e-mail to customers worldwide.
- Demonstrate expert knowledge and problem solving abilities in providing technical support to customers who purchase from our extensive product portfolio.
- Interface with multiple support teams around the world.
- Reproduce set ups and create technical solutions in the lab.
- Develop and provide customized solutions, assist in the design of custom products.
- Become skilled in the use of test equipment to help influence the design of next generation photonics products.
- Support Marketing and Sales activities by attending Tradeshows and Customer visits.
- Participate in managing the development of Thorlabs by being part of an interactive development forum.
- Develop Marketing Materials like test data, white papers, or video for use on our website or through another distribution channel
- Contribute to training of new team members by sharing your unique skills with the growing group of Thorlabs Application Engineers.
- In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
- The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- Will accept recent college graduate with Bachelor’s Degree.
- BSc, MSc, PhD degree in Optics, Physics or a related Engineering field or equivalent work experience.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of Photonics and Laser Technology via work or laboratory experience.
- Strong communication proficiency.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of multi-disciplinary problems.
- The position is a 40hr/week position. The team starts at staggered times to cover our 8am – 8pm hours of operation.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.