Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
This position is for an entry to mid-level individual who has an analytical chemistry background. Position entails the development and design of new products for Thorlabs Spectral Work’s spectroscopy and sensor product lines. The engineer will be responsible for managing projects from concept to finished product. Although the location of the position is in Columbia, SC, in very limited cases it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design new products to add to the Thorlabs online catalog including spectral sensing tools, spectroscopy accessories, sub-assemblies, etc.
- Perform data analysis of prepared samples and/or spectra data using various software tools
- Develop and implement algorithms and chemometric models in MATLAB and other tools for processing spectra (PCA, PLS and MLR)
- Perform multivariate calibration on data models, prototype sensors and mature products
- Collaborate with teammates on developing a new spectral sensors (point detection and hyperspectral imaging)
- Communicate results with team and management in the form of short presentations during meetings.
- Compile and analyze results from traditional instrumentation and compressive sensing techniques to produce peer-reviewed publications
- Planning of continuous improvement projects, to increase productivity and reduce user complexity
- Prepare design proposals and documents. Develop proposed product offering through market analysis, understanding of application, customer requests, manufacturing capabilities, costs, capacity, projected sales, and any other driving forces.
- Interact with production personnel to define and solve manufacturing/design issues and implement cost reduction ideas with regard to company products.
- Perform liaison function between engineering team and all manufacturing operations for any related issues, problems, or improvements.
- Work with the quality department to define problem areas and implement product improvements based on customer repair/rejection concerns.
- Prepare technical data such as experimental design, qualification test procedures, acceptance test procedures, reports, manuals, etc.
- Interact with vendors and purchasers concerning supplied and proposed components.
- Coordinate as required with other internal groups including Sales, Accounting personnel, Fabrication, Technical Marketing, Technical Support, OEM Team, Management, Planning, and Assembly.
- Acts as a key spectroscopy and chemometrics technical resource for the company for both internal and external customers.
- Keep current with newest applications, and products with in the industry. Share, discuss, and collaborate while looking for opportunities to implement.
- Monitor, analyze, and report on assigned competitors’ trends, acquisitions, and product line changes.
- Advise supervisor of work status, workload, problems and progress as related to work assignments.
- Responsible for all changes and problems related to assigned product lines for entire product life cycle.
- Assists drafting, lab testing, manufacturing, quality, and planning as required.