Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position is responsible for performing thin film coatings on optical components. The position operates, repairs, maintains the coating tools, shields and chambers. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations. 2nd Shift hours are from 3:00pm - 12:00am.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Cleans and prepares optical components for coating. Operate large ultrasonic cleaning system.
- Loads and operates vacuum coating chambers.
- Operate Metrology tools for characterization of Thin Films.
- Conducts repair and maintenance on coating tools, shields, and chambers.
- Maintains all production, process, quality and equipment records.
- Promotes and maintains good housekeeping and safety practices.
- High School Degree or equivalent. Some college with a Science-based concentration.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledgeable of good housekeeping and safety practices in a clean room environment
- Strong problem solving/analysis skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong sense of confidentiality & ethical conduct.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to function autonomously with little direction/works well independently of others
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.