This position will oversee and direct activities of an engineering group developing optical and fiber optic based devices for surgical instrumentation in a matrix based organization. In this role you will provide in-depth knowledge of surgical instrumentation domain as a technical leader across a range of engineering disciplines including Optical, Fiber Optics, Opto-mechanical, and Materials.
- Management and leadership of a group of optical and photonics engineers with emphasis on technical leadership and team building.
- Direct the design, assembly, alignment, measurement, testing, analysis, and troubleshooting of optical, illumination, fiber optic, laser delivery, and single-use devices.
- Lead medical device development activities such as prototyping and testing, pilot builds, V&V, risk assessment, and ramp-up to production validation.
- Technical leader and SME for the organization who mentors peers about the domain and related technology.
- Derive product design requirements based on top-level commercial input.
- Support all aspects of documentation and design control through ECN, ECO, and Wind-chill.
- Contribute to patent portfolio and strategy development.
- Identify technical, project schedule, and commercial viability risks.
- Run cross-functional trade-off reviews and drive to design decisions.
- The ideal candidate will have:
- Several years of management experience
- Proven ability to build and lead engineering teams
- Several years using industry standard tools and methods for optical, photonic and electro-optical systems engineering
- Optics, Fiber Optics, Opto-mechanics and lasers domain knowledge
- Architecture design, requirements & risk management, medical device V&V, reprocessing and single-use devices
- Development knowledge in: fiber optic energy delivery devices, probes and illuminators
- Precision manufacturing techniques: micro-optical and miniature opt mechanical components assembly
- Biomedical product / medical device development experience
- Knowledge of optical components, complex sub-systems and OEM supplier management
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent years of directly related experience (HS +15 yrs; Assoc.+11 yrs; M.S.+4 yrs; PhD+3 yrs)
- The ability to fluently read, write, understand and communicate in English
- 7 Years of Relevant Experience
- 5 Years of Demonstrated Leadership
- ZEMAX, Code V, Light Tools
- Physical optics
- Materials engineering and/or science knowledge related to optical materials and polymers
- Ophthalmic domain knowledge (Cataract, Vit-Ret, Refractive Surgery, or Diagnostics)
Alcon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. As part of the Novartis Group of Companies, Alcon takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment and our policies are not to discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Alcon is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.