Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Job activities include semiconductor wafer fab process maintenance/improvement, wafer fab equipment maintenance/improvement, lean manufacturing projects, and maintaining process/equipment documentation. This position requires general knowledge of semiconductor fab processes, knowledge of process engineering core skills, and effective problem-solving skills. Preference will be given to candidates with experience working in a semiconductor fabrication facility.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Maintain/improve wafer fab processes used for production and engineering tests. This includes addressing process excursions and designing robust sustainable processes. Also includes creation and maintenance of all process documentation and training to technicians who perform the processes.
- Provide engineering equipment ownership via creating/maintaining equipment operation procedures, training personnel, setting up tool qualification checks, developing effective PMs, and supporting maintenance/ops team during equipment down events.
- Provide ownership of specific fab areas by setting up methods that maximize resource utilization, writing necessary area procedures, and creating commonality of process across a variety of product lines.
- Support wafer fab operations team in writing required documentation and leading various wafer fab improvement projects (e.g. Lean Manufacturing, 5S).
- Support IT and wafer fab operations team in maintaining and improving all information systems related to the wafer fab. This include the set up of reports for wafer fab operations team that support daily production.
- Minimum of 1 years’ experience with semiconductor fab processes including CVD, Etch, photolithography, and e-beam evaporation (metals and optical coatings) processes.
- Experience with Six Sigma process improvement methods
- Experience with troubleshooting and resolving semiconductor processing equipment issues, especially repair and maintenance of high vacuum systems.
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Physics
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Statistical Data Analysis.
- Statistical Process Control (SPC).
- Some Knowledge of the following software/programming languages: SQL, Visual Basic, C++, Matlab, JMP, R, Microsoft Sharepoint, and Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge Semiconductor device physics, especially optoelectronic devices.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.