Optical Engineer, Scientist
|L3Harris Technologies, Melbourne, FL, United States|
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries.
Due to substantial growth in our business Harris has an immediate need for an Optical Engineer. We are seeking an advanced professional with practical knowledge of the photonics area. This key role will provide technical insight for our existing technologies and develop new technologies to capture and lead new programs with our military, government, and commercial customers.
- Architect, design, simulate, modify, and test optical communications systems.
- Architect, design, simulate, modify, and test RF Photonic systems.
- Generate, analyze, evaluate, and flow down optical requirements.
- Lead internal and external design reviews as a subject matter expert (SME) in photonic systems.
- Lead large sized Integrated Product Teams (IPTs) with the responsibility of meeting cost and schedule milestones.
- Bachelor’s degree in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering with Optics Focus, Physics or related field with a minimum 12 years of experience or Master’s degree with a minimum of 10 years prior experience.
- 10 or more years modeling and or designing photonics systems.
- 5 years experience leading product development teams.
- Experience generating technical data for 3 or more business proposals.
- Experience providing technical leadership for 3 or more subcontracts.
- 5 or more years experience developing prototype optical systems.
Preferred Additional Skills:
Background in three or more of the following technical areas:
- Digital Lightwave Communications: Physical layer systems, components (EDFA, Modulators, SFPs, Switches, etc.) and modules for optical communication systems
- Coherent RF Photonics: Transport and processing of analog signals (radar, wireless communications, etc.) on optical systems
- Photonic Integrated Circuits: Improving Size Weight and Power (SWaP) for photonics systems utilizing photonic integrated circuits
- Optical multi-input multi-output (MIMO) digital signal processing (DSP): Improving optical system throughput and bit error rate (BER) using post processing techniques
- Photonic Modeling: Ability to model photonic systems using one or more of the following software packages: MATLAB, OptSim, BeamProp, Zemax, HFSS
- Proficient with product development for government contracts.
Clearance: TS/SCI with poly preferred