Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
We are looking for an engineer that is passionate about “all things mechanical”. If you are the type of person that loves a challenge of applying creative engineered solutions to photonics users’ problems, we have an opportunity for you.
Our Mechanical Design engineers are responsible for the design, development, prototyping and testing of complex opto-mechanical solutions for biomedical imaging. These systems incorporate components that range from vibration isolation, temperature control, mechanics, electronics, optics, fiber optics and various laser systems. You will work with professionals that are experts in all aspects of industry; manufacturing, machining, physics, software, electronics and the optical sciences. The ideal engineer will work on projects independently as well as part of a team to achieve the goals of the Imaging Systems Group. This position involves participating in R&D design and pre-production reviews to ensure design quality, “user-friendliness”, manufacturability, and cost optimization over the life of the design.
- Proficiency with 3D modeling tools, SolidWorks perfered
- Experience with CNC, lathes and mills a plus
- Experience with dimensional tolerancing, inspection techniques, and DFM
- Problem solving skills using solutions involving new design and assembly techniques, technologies, and concepts.
- Sound understanding of mechanical theory and applications
- Tool and fixture making and design experience is a plus
- Experience with opto-eletronic test equipment is a plus
- Experience developing, evaluating and improving manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of product design, materials and fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods, and quality control standards.
- Experience in design and manufacturing in a new product development environment.
- Design of test and assembly fixtures
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Hands-on experience with opto-mechanics, laser systems or in physics lab a big plus
- Proficient in the use of MS Word and Excel
- Good verbal & written communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast paced environment
- Ability/Desire to work in a manufacturing environment
- Highly self-motivated, self-directed, team orientated, and exceptionally attentive to detail.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.