Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position is responsible for developing semiconductor optoelectronic devices including laser diodes, DFB lasers, semiconductor optical amplifiers (SOAs), , gain chips, and SLDs, , from proof-of-concept prototype all the way through final manufacturing design documentation. Familiarity with existing commercial photonic software tools is expected, as well as the ability to develop software models to simulate the performance of new designs. This person will collaborate with epitaxial growth, device fabrication and test engineering to design for manufacturability and drive the chip development process and innovate further advances in device performance and continuous improvement in yield. Furthermore, this person is expected to propose new product ideas, work with marketing team to develop a business case to support new product introduction. The senior semiconductor laser engineer is also expected to provide engineering support for all aspects of assigned product line to ensure functionality, quality, cost and schedule.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Development of new products including specification of the epitaxial wafer structure, optical waveguide design, mask layout, fabrication process/tolerances as well as test procedures
- Development of methods and procedures to test new designs and fully documentation of all aspects of the new designs
- Analyzes the risks of a new design or process and communicates results accordingly.
- Provides support to manufacturing to ensure product is fabricated and assembled based on the intended functionality of the design.
- Driving continuous improvement through the use of statistical process control (SPC) and gauge repeatability & reproducibility (GRR) methods for analyzing data to evaluate the current process and process change
- Tracks yields and leads cost reduction activities.
- Develops and maintains procedures and processes that support core technologies.
- Interfaces with others in the organization and customers to jointly determine customer needs and solutions.
- Understands and supports quality policies and objectives.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree ( or Higher) in Electrical Engineering, Physics or Material Science or related field(s)
- 3 +years’ experience on semiconductor lasers and related optoelectronic devices containing optical waveguides
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Hand on knowledge of optoelectronic semiconductor device physics, processing, characterization and reliability issues.
- Familiarity with commercially available photonic design tools (e.g. BPMCAD, BEAMPROP)
- Familiarity with MBE or MOCVD growth techniques
- Experience with optoelectronic semiconductor device testing.
- Experience with automated data acquisition tools (e.g. Labview or .net)
- Familiarity with data analysis tools (e.g. MiniTab or JMP)
- Strong analytical skills applied to real problem solving
- Ability to work in Clean Room Environment.
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.