Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs, a leader of the optical lab products suppliers in the world, is recruiting an optical R&D engineer. This position will be part of the Thorlabs R&D center in Shanghai, China, on the design and development of optical products, and especially products in the field of polarization optics. Suitable candidates should be familiar with polarization optical devices, electro-optic crystals, and have experience with design and development of high-quality optical products. Successful candidate will work with engineers from all over the world, and travel a few times a year to tradeshows and other facilities
- Design and develop optical subsystems. Starting from theoretical design, breadboard prototypes and final product design.
- Conceptualize and design of new products, starting from optical bench prototypes through to final package, then guide ramp-up of pilot manufacturing.
- Detailed electro-optical design including integration of lasers with optics, drive electronics, and external electrical/mechanical interfaces.
- Developing test procedures, assist in writing user manuals, and training manufacturing and service personnel for transition of products from research and development to manufacturing;
- Providing technical support to Manufacturing, Marketing and Service.
- Manage projects including prototype and product development schedules
- Master or PhD in Physics, Optics, or other related engineering disciplines
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience in development and implementation of optical systems design
- Experience in developing high-quality optical products and leading the development to production
- Strong knowledge in optics, especially in polarization optics.
- Strong experience in optical lab, optical setup, and optical devices, such as lasers, detectors, etc.
- Strong knowledge in Zemax, MATLAB (or GNU Octave) and LabVIEW
- Knowledge in SolidWorks is a plus
- Fluent in both written and spoken English
- Knowledge of wide variety of photonics devices
- Experience working within multi-disciplinary engineering teams
- Appreciation of photonics market sector and associated optical products
- Must be self-motivated, and good team work spirit.
Compensation and Benefits
- Base salary based on his/her role, individual performance and competencies, as well as market competitiveness
- Mandatory social insurance and housing fund in accordance with PRC Laws.
- Optional supplementary medical insurance
- Annual medical check-up
- 10-15 days of annual leave days per calendar year
A101, 100#, Lane 2891, South Qilianshan Rd Shanghai 200331
If you are interested in this position, please update your resume and forward to China-HR@thorlabs.com