Optical Test Engineer for Space Applications
|Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, Laurel, MD, United States|
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
We are seeking an Optical Test Engineer to work with the instrument team in the fabrication, assembly and alignment of optical systems for space applications.
As an Optical Test Engineer…
- Your primary responsibility will be to work with the mechanical and optical engineering teams to determine the alignment needs of the optical system. Develop and document alignment plans and test procedures.
- You will assemble and align optical test equipment utilizing interferometric alignment tools and other precision test methods.
- You will analyze optical performance data and determine instrument compliance to system level requirements.
- You will support design reviews and interface with engineering, science and customer teams.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelor's degree in a related technical field or equivalent professional experience
- 1-3 years experience in a related technical field
- Strong working knowledge of optical alignment techniques and equipment
- Understanding of optical mounting and assembly skills
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship
You will go above and beyond our qualifications if you have...
- Strong computer and communication skills
- Experience utilizing ZEMAX (or similar) optical analyses tools
- Experience working in clean room environment
- Experience supporting environmental testing of optical systems