Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
General Manger directs and coordinates activities of the entire Business Unit and is responsible for the P/L. Reports to Thorlabs COO.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Participates in formulating and administering company policies, directing and coordinating all department activities within the Business Unit to develop and implement long-range goals and objectives to meet business and profitability growth objectives.
- Reviews analyses of activities, costs, operations and forecast data to determine progress toward stated Business Unit goals and objectives.
- Confers with the Chief Operation Officer and other administrative personnel to review achievements and discuss required changes in goals or objectives resulting from current status and conditions.
- Develops, reviews, updates and implements business strategic planning, including sales, financial performance and new product development.
- Oversees production and planning departments to review production and operating reports and resolve operational, manufacturing and facility problems to ensure minimum costs and prevent operational delays and to meet future growth.
- Oversees key projects, processes and performance reports, data and analysis.
- Reviews and supports engineering and sales in conjunction with the Product Line Managers to oversee design concepts with fundamental or new technology used for new or existing products or improvement to provide cost reduction, safety, customer requirements and market growth.
- Reviews operations and plans to meet requirements for sales planning and to ascertain manufacturing or outsourcing requirements to develop new markets.
- Reviews and approves preparation of accounting analysis for budgetary planning and implementation, production efficiency, financial reporting, budgetary planning and submittal for capital expenditures.
- Oversees the facilities operation, safety, maintenance, and expansion in conjunction with the Facilities and Equipment Mangers. The facilities include MBE/MOCVD epitaxial wafer growth, compound semiconductor wafer fabrication, and assembly/test clean rooms in multiple buildings.
- Minimum 20 years experience in the semiconductor wafer fabrication industry, preferably compound semiconductor, and 10 years of senior management experience.
- Bachelor's Degree, MS or PhD in technical field preferred.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge of semiconductor wafer fabrication processes, technology, equipment, products and markets, preferably related to semiconductor lasers.
- Demonstrated experience in business planning and launching new brands
- Entrepreneurial and willing to get "hands dirty" in entrepreneurial environment
- Strong business acumen and strong strategic thinking skills
- Strong budget management skill
- Demonstrated experience as a change agent
- Demonstrated experience in a customer centric environment
- Strong decision making skills
- Strong experience in financial management
- Demonstrated experience in process evaluation/management
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.