Principal Optical Engineer
|Alcon, Lake Forest, CO, United States|
Alcon, Enhancing Quality of Life by Helping People See Better
As the global leader in eye care, Alcon develops and manufactures innovative medicines and devices to serve the full life cycle of eye care needs. As the global leader in eye care, we take our corporate responsibilities seriously, and continually strive to do the right thing for our customers and their patients, our company, our employees, our stakeholders and our communities. Alcon has more than 20,000 associates in 74 countries, collectively working to provide innovative products that enhance quality of life by helping people see better.
At Alcon, we recognize that our success depends on the creativity, dedication and performance of our associates. That’s why we foster a performance-oriented culture that encourages achievement through collaboration and innovation. This culture is reflected in our product pipeline, one of the most exciting in the industry today. We depend on our diverse and talented associates to bring a full spectrum of innovative medicines and devices to patients that address their eye care needs, creating one of the most rewarding work environments in our industry.
Diversity helps drive Alcon’s innovation. As our customer base becomes increasingly diverse, employing individuals with a variety of backgrounds becomes critical in being able to better understand patient and customer needs, and provide innovative solutions. We value the differences amongst our associates! This extends to inclusive leadership and teamwork, an essential component of our collaborative culture. By enabling individuals and groups to contribute their unique perspectives, we are allowing for more creative ideas and better solutions.
The purpose of this position is to apply in-depth knowledge of surgical instrumentation domain as a subject matter expert across a range of engineering disciplines including Optical, Fiber Optics, Opto mechanical, and Materials.
- Design, assembly, alignment, measurement, testing, analysis, and troubleshooting of optical, illumination, fiber optic, laser delivery, and single-use devices.
- Lead, participate in, or support medical device development activities such as prototyping and testing, pilot builds, V&V, risk assessment, and ramp-up to production validation.
- Technical leader and SME for the organization who mentors peers about the domain and related technology.
- Derive product design requirements based on top-level commercial input.
- Support all aspects of documentation and design control through ECN, ECO, and Wind chill.
- Contribute to patent portfolio and strategy development.
- Identify technical, project schedule, and commercial viability risks.
- Run cross-functional trade-off reviews and drive to design decisions.
- Able to lead small team of engineers.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent years of directly related experience (or high school +13 yrs; Assoc.+9 yrs; M.S.+2 yrs; PhD+0 yrs)
• The ability to fluently read, write, understand and communicate in English
• 5 Years of Relevant Experience
• Experience with industry standard tools & methods for optical, photonic, & electro-optical systems engineering
• Optics, fiber optics, opto- mechanics, & lasers domain knowledge
• Architecture design, requirements & risk management, medical device V&V, reprocessing, & single-use device understanding
• Fiber optic energy delivery devices, fiber optic probes, or fiber optic illuminator development
• Precision manufacturing techniques & familiarity with assembly of micro-optical & miniature opto-mechanical components
• Biomedical product or medical device development experience
• Vendor & supplier management for optical components, complex sub-systems, or OEM
• ZEMAX, Code V, or Light Tools
• Extensive physical optics
• Materials engineering or material science related to optical materials & polymers
• Class II & III medical device experience
• Design Controls - 21 CFR 820/ISO 13485
• Risk Management proficiency - ISO 14971