Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The green packaging engineer will provide technical support for all packaging related activities with an emphasis on environmentally minded options. This position will be responsible for managing all aspects of developing packages (design, engineering, modeling, etc.), continuous improvement projects and supporting the development of new processes. The ideal candidate will have extensive packaging experience and be detail oriented with a passion for innovative solutions. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Understand the importance of developing greener alternatives to traditional packaging.
- Oversees and manages the complete packaging development process, including the creation of packaging designs, prototype development, testing and utilization.
- Continually research environmentally friendly options for new and existing products.
- Serves as the subject matter expert on many types of packaging structures and the packaging process.
- Drive new package development on assigned projects.
- Hands-on involvement in all facets of development of primary and secondary packaging.
- Troubleshoots new and existing packaging problems involving designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely, and cost-effective solutions.
- Create engineering drawings, specifications, qualification plans and test methods on assigned projects
- Guide packaging discussion during product team meetings.
- Develop and prepare packaging specifications.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in mechanical engineering design
- Designed Products that Achieved Commercial Success
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related field
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Working knowledge on SolidWorks or similar 3D modeling software.
- Strong proficiency in MS office and communication tools.
- Excellent statistical data analysis and problem solving abilities.
- Effectively reports progress and problems through written or oral reports.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Strong innovation skill.
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.