Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The OEM Sales Engineer is a highly technical role that is responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with OEM customers and Key Accounts in the assigned geographical region. A primary focus of this position will be new business generation, including lead qualification and solution development in many areas of the photonics industry. Activities include frequent communication with the customer (specifications, pricing, product availability, services, etc), contract negotiation, and coordination of design and manufacturing resources for custom solutions. Key to this role is close engagement with the various business units and entities across the global Thorlabs organization representing extensive manufacturing capabilities.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Identify new opportunities and new markets for the Thorlabs OEM team representing Thorlabs catalog of over 15000 products as well as complete custom solutions
- Qualify and understand OEM customer technical needs (physics/engineering background required, optics/laser expertise preferred) to lead internal team of experts to deliver on OEM customer projects
- OEM and Key Account Management
- Dedicated point of contact for the customer
- Ensure that products and services meet or exceed customer expectations
- Handle all negotiations with OEM customers and Key Accounts
- Be the customer’s advocate within Thorlabs
- Work with OEM Project Managers, Engineers, and Sales Coordinators to provide customers with custom solutions from project conception to project end–of-life strategies
- Provides accurate sales forecasting to OEM Sales Manager and helps define strategies for territory and specific market growth
- Provides market feedback to R&D and MarCom groups
- Attends tradeshows regularly
- Manage and maintain pipeline and opportunities in CRM
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in technical sales and/or key account management, preferably with OEM accounts and/or in the photonics industry
- BS in a Photonics related field (Physics, Engineering, BioPhotonics, etc) or equivalent experience, advanced technical preferred
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Highly organized, able to plan and coordinate activities within a sales region including planning customer visits, organizing small trade shows, etc.
- Creative sales and business development strategies for lead generation
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in a customer centric environment
- Ability to work independent as well as part of a team
- Demonstrated experience in Microsoft Dynamics, CRM, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point) and communication tools
- Ability to work under time constraints
- Learning oriented
- Ability to fluently write and speak English