Quartus Engineering Incorporated (www.quartus.com) is a leading provider of engineering services and integrated hardware solutions for a wide range of clients and industries. We employ advanced computer-aided engineering tools in the areas of optics, structural, thermal, and coupled analyses. We couple our engineering analysis capabilities with design, prototype, integration and test capabilities to create solutions for our clients that are of extraordinary value.
What will you do?
As an Opto-Mechanical Senior Engineer in our San Diego office, you will design and develop robust mechanics for high performance optical systems in challenging environments. You will work as part of a team of creative cross-disciplinary engineers to meet project and customer’s requirements and gain exposure to a wide variety of optical systems from airborne remote sensing to industrial automation and everything in between. At Quartus, you will be involved in the entire project lifecycle from concept and design to build and alignment. As a Senior Engineer you may be expected to own the entire technical aspect of a given project, not necessarily just your area of expertise.
Essential Job Functions:
- Design and develop opto-mechanical assemblies and sub-systems
- Design and build prototypes, create detailed drawings and instructions for production
- Perform risk and tolerance analysis and perform subsystem FMEA’s (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis).
- Drive appropriate mechanical design elements by building a tolerance budget for each component
- Responsible for technical documentation (Models, CAD drawings, Simulations, BOMs, etc.)
- Work closely with program manager and customer on technical requirements
- Work on projects independently, and with a multi-disciplined team of engineers and technicians
- Effectively manage multiple tasks and juggle multiple projects
- Mentor and assist junior engineers
- Collaborates with project managers and others in the development of project plans, proposals, and schedules
- Prepares PowerPoint slides for customer design reviews
Position is based in San Diego, CA with a hybrid schedule.
Who is right for the job?
Successful candidates must be highly collaborative team player who are committed to Quartus values: People First, Integrity, Curiosity and Bold. We hire resourceful individuals with a passion for learning and an ability to apply engineering principles and techniques to solve a variety of problems.
What are we looking for?
- BS and/or MS in Mechanical or similar Engineering field and/or equivalent experience
- 6 - 15 years of experience in:
- Opto-mechanical design and integration for high performance optical systems in challenging environments
- Optical system design and opto-mechanical packaging
- Design of electromechanical mechanisms
- Design of precision mechanics (kinematic mounts)
- Precision motion control (nice to have)
- Heat transfer and design of thermal management solutions
- GD&T application per ASME Y14.5M
- Design using CAD/CAE software (Solidworks preferred)
- Design validation using proper finite element analysis techniques
- Familiarity with optical raytracing software (eg. Zemax, CodeV, etc.) is a plus
- Experience with optical drawing creation (ISO 10110 preferred)
- Experience with optical alignment techniques in a lab setting
- Must be a US Person (U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident)
Nice to Have’s:
- Drive appropriate design elements across multiple disciplines based on system level understanding of project.
Compensation and Benefits
Opto-Mechanical Senior Engineer pay range: $114,609.25 – 187,270.02*
*This pay range represents base pay. In addition, you may be eligible for additional benefits and compensation.
Referral eligibility: Tier 2
Quartus is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to employing a diverse workforce, including, but not limited to, minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans. Quartus provides comprehensive benefits including competitive salary, discretionary performance-based bonus, employee stock ownership plan, medical, dental, vision, and 401k plan with company match.