For over 100 years, we've manufactured innovative, battle-proven optics products for the world's most relentless hunters, shooters, law enforcement, and military professionals. We design, build and test our best-in-class products with a single minded focus - to make sure they'll perform forever.
At Leupold and Stevens we’re American to the Core and passionate about what we do. Product excellence and uncompromising quality are our top priorities. We’ve built a collaborative, high performance culture where team players with innovative ideas and a sense of urgency thrive. We offer a friendly work environment where innovation, quality, and continuous improvement are our focus, and where your ideas matter.
Our benefits package is amazing:
- affordable health and dental insurance
- a strong commitment to training and professional development including an internal skills development program for all manufacturing team members
- a generous tuition reimbursement program
- company contributions up to 8% of base pay into a 401K retirement account
- profit sharing
- and great product discounts (to name a few)
Optical Engineer 1
Targeted Base Salary Range: $90,000 - $110,000 (DOE)
Please Refer to Req # 23-139
At Leupold & Stevens, our passion for innovation and quality is legendary in our industry. And when we mark our products with a guarantee of lifetime performance, it is because of the hard work, dedication, and craftsmanship you and your engineering team put in to making it all possible.
To that end, we have an exciting opportunity for an Optical Engineer to join our NPI Engineering team and contribute towards cutting-edge developments in the field of sporting optics. Come make your mark in an iconic history of over 115 years of American manufacturing. You will collaborate cross-functionally with optical, electrical, design, and manufacturing engineers on new product development as well as continually innovate the best-in-class optics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops new optical prescription for riflescopes, binoculars, monoculars, spotting scopes, laser rangefinders, as well as integrates new and existing technologies.
- Assesses and approves the manufacturability of systems through sensitivity/tolerance analysis, straylight analysis, and other applicable means.
- Demonstrates proof-of-concept for innovative solutions to complex problems in optical design, opto-mechanical assembly, and alignment and testing of optical components and systems.
- Conducts tests of complete systems or subsystems under operational conditions to evaluate system performance or other factors, or to obtain data for development and standardization. Analyzes test results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives.
- Creates and maintains optical system layout drawings and associated documentation.
- Changes drawings and part-lists with minimal guidance as required and completes all forms to update system database.
- Assists in the development and formatting, performance and evaluation of quality assurance programs, tests, studies, reports and methods.
- Prepares written technical reports.
- Presents design reviews and technical knowledge to engineering disciplines.
- Ensures that optical systems are in conformance with Leupold & Stevens published standards.
- Stays informed concerning new optical/optomechanical technology and equipment and investigates their potential applications. Recommends incorporation of new technology for Company applications where feasible and practical.
- Maintains a safe work area.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience You’ll Need as an Optical Engineer 1:
- Requires a Bachelor’s of Science degree (B.S.) in physics, laser, or optical engineering, preferably familiar with the design of moderately complex optical and optomechanical systems, as well as manufacturing techniques and implementation.
- Preferred experience includes demonstrated excellence in scientific and engineering methodologies, design of experiment skills in solving complex systems optimization problems, basic optical systems design, and knowledge of related disciplines and processes.
- Must be familiar with Zemax, Oslo, Code V or equivalent optical design software experience.
- Must be comfortable working with scientific instruments in the lab, aligning optical systems and collecting experimental data.
- Must possess a natural curiosity and acumen for innovation and excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical information in mathematical form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to write reports and effectively present information and respond to questions from managers as well as technical and non-technical professionals.
- Preference will be given to candidates who possess familiarity and hands-on experience utilizing shooting and observation sports optics.
Normal office environment with occasional travel and exposure to manufacturing operations.
For details on positions and to apply, go to:
Leupold & Stevens, Inc.
14400 NW Greenbrier Parkway
Beaverton, Oregon 97006
* Leupold & Stevens, Inc. is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer. A core business objective at Leupold & Stevens is to maintain a workplace in which each employee can achieve their full potential. The company was founded on the principle of giving customers and our team members ‘A Square Deal’; to us, this means advocating for the employment opportunities and advancements of all individuals regardless of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law. We resolutely believe all aspects and privileges of employment should be determined by skills and behaviors, not personal identities.
* With our commitment to make our application process and workplace accessible for individuals with disabilities, we will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for an individual applicant to participate in the job application process. To request an accommodation to the application process, please send an email to HRDept@Leupold.com or call (503) 646-9171 and a Leupold & Stevens representative will contact you.
* Leupold & Stevens, Inc. is a drug free workplace. All final candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
* Leupold & Stevens, Inc. complies with all applicable FAR & DFAR regulations.
* We hire U.S. citizens and persons lawfully authorized to work in the U.S. All new employees must complete an INS Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9). Positions may require a deemed export control license for compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Placement is contingent on Leupold & Stevens, Inc.’s ability to apply for and obtain an export control license on your behalf.