Photonics Solutions Division (PSD)
Spectra-Physics, Ophir and Newport are brands within the MKS Instruments Photonics Solutions Division. Spectra-Physics combines groundbreaking laser technologies with deep application expertise to deliver industry leading lasers for precision industrial and scientific research applications. Ophir specializes in laser and LED measurement products, including laser power and energy meters and laser beam profilers. Ophir also provides high-performance IR thermal imaging lenses and optical elements as well as optics for CO2 and high-power fiber laser material processing. Newport provides a full range of solutions including precision motion control, optical tables and vibration isolation systems, photonic instruments, optical and opto-mechanical components. MKS PSD solutions enhance our customers’ capabilities and productivity in the semiconductor, industrial technologies, life and health sciences, research and defense markets. As of July 15, 2021, PSD is happy to welcome Photon Control to the team.
The Equipment Solutions Business is now part of the Photonics Solutions Division.
Globally, our policy is to recruit individuals from wide and diverse backgrounds. However, certain positions require access to controlled goods and technologies subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Applicants for these positions may need to be “U.S. persons.” “U.S. persons” are generally defined as U.S. citizens, noncitizen nationals, lawful permanent residents (or, green card holders), individuals granted asylum, and individuals admitted as refugees.
MKS Instruments, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We solicit and hire applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected category. Our policy is to employ the most qualified applicants. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with company policies and federal and state guidelines.
Location: Irvine, CA or Milpitas, CA
We are looking for a Technical Director of Quality with demonstrated abilities to collaborate with cross functional teams to achieve organizational objectives and to drive continuous improvement. You will use your exceptional quality assurance experience developing and implementing quality strategies to ensure operational performance while complying with all relevant standards.
What you will do:
- Provide leadership to the quality organization to help drive a proactive approach with improvements within design, manufacturing, suppliers and customers. Lead monthly management reviews for the leadership team to help drive continuous improvement
- Analyze customer returns and failure rate data in depth and trend Quality Metrics. Also, review repair data for accuracy, determine root cause and CAPA (corrective and preventive actions) with a focus on systemic improvements
- You will accomplish this by collaborating with Operations and Engineering, as needed, to determine root cause and in-process failures
- Expand and improve on existing processes and create robust methods across multiple sites
- Identify and further develop KPI’s (key performance indicators) within the business to help drive towards Operational Excellence
- Further enhance the organization through the use and implementation of various tools such quality plans, process flows, FMEA (failure mode and effects analysis), DOE (design of experiments)
- Drive and promote a culture of quality within the organization.
- Quality management system ownership, Manage Internal Quality System Audit Program, Conduct Quality System Management Reviews
What will you bring to the team, along with your creativity and curiosity is an in-depth understanding of complex process manufacturing and technical knowledge of optical component and/or optical assembly.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary Pay Range: $144,200 to $308,000 per year. This range is a good faith estimate of the expected salary range for this position, based on a wide range of factors including qualifications, experience and training, operational and business needs and other considerations permitted by law. At MKS, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for the role.
Bonus: This position is eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, in an amount to be determined by MKS [or as applicable].
Benefits: MKS offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance coverage (medical, dental and vision), 401(k) with company match, life and disability insurance, 12 paid holidays, sick time, 15 paid vacation days, [6 weeks fully paid] parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition reimbursement [and for participation in any stock programs, signing bonus, etc.].
MKS is an equal opportunity employer, including disability, veteran status and all categories protected by law. Please review our EOE statements for additional details.
We are looking for the following attributes:
- A Bachelor’s degree in engineering or physics (MS and or MBA preferred) with 10 years minimum industry experience (optics and/or photonics)
- A background in R&D, materials science and product life cycle
- Experience in optics manufacturing technology
- Hands on leadership to perform both tactical and strategic activities.
- Strong analytical and technical abilities (a problem solver). Experience with reliability a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to interact with customers and management and a change agent approach with strong functional team building abilities
- Experience with working with large OEM organizations, particularly in the semiconductor industry a strong plus
- Effective and thorough knowledge of quality improvement tools, including:
- Design quality tools, including D/PFMEA, DFX, Poke-yoke, New Product Introduction
- Statistical decision-making methods including process capability analysis and DoE
- Problem solving tools (8D, K-T)
- Knowledgeable of ISO 9001-2015 and ISO 14001
We are interested in a qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we will not be sponsoring work visas for this position, at this time.