DRS Daylight Solutions business provides industry-changing mid-infrared laser light technology for government and commercial markets, including: defense and security; life sciences; and industrial process control. As a mid-IR technology pioneer, Daylight Solutions has delivered more mid-IR systems to more applications world-wide than any other company.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo S.p.A. which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture, which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
DRS Daylight Solutions is a subsidiary of Leonardo DRS. Our mission at DRS Daylight Solutions is to be a leader in developing molecular detection, imaging and illumination systems for use in scientific research, life sciences, industrial process control, and defense applications. Mixed Generation Infrared Countermeasure Laser Systems. Multi-Spectral Beacons for Combat Identification. Sensors for Real-Time Liquid & Gas Phase Analysis. Mid Infrared Chemical Imaging.
The Senior Opto-Mechanical Engineer at Daylight will be responsible for supporting the design and analysis of lasers, robotics, tooling and fixtures. They should have a strong understanding of robust opto-mechanical design practices including precision mechanism, kinematics, lasers, and thermal control. They will support the design, analysis, documentation and testing of optical/laser products, systems, and/or subsystems. Working with a multi-disciplinary design team, they will execute on optical and mechanical modeling, prototyping, calculations, FEA, and testing. The successful candidate would be able to compile/review data and perform both optical and mechanical analyses (hand calculations, FEA, STOP) to make design decisions and implement them in CAD/Documentation. The Sr. Opto-Mechanical engineer will develop optical alignment processes for automation. Along with design, they will conduct formal reviews, support failure analyses and proposals. They should additionally be able to work independently, be flexible, and be receptive to ideas and feedback.
- Uses computer-aided engineering or other design/analysis software in the performance of assignments. Ability to work independently, regular reporting of progress and status
- Design, develop, analyze, document and support testing of robust, precision opto-mechanical assemblies.
- Engineering analysis to understand how loads and environmental factors affect performance
- (tolerance stack, thermal and structural, optical) using appropriate tools for the job. Uses Engineering tools such as CAD, Optical Modeling and FEA to design
- Design and setup optical metrology and perform engineering tests and design of experiments
- Laser packaging design and process development: Soldering, wire bonding, lid welding, adhesive bonding, hermeticity testing
- Involved in the initial build and bring up of engineering prototype products
- Hands-on prototyping, assembly, instrumentation, and test for characterization of design intent
- Process development to ensure design intent and manufacturability
- Hands-on troubleshooting and root cause analysis using engineering/physics principles Responsible for completion of assigned task on time and meeting technical requirements Participating in design reviews and clearly articulating design concepts
- Provides regular reporting of progress and status
- Ability to work independently under supervision of others
- Purchasing, fabricating, and building of hardware. Writing ECO’s and manufacturing work instructions
- Develop, purchase, fabricate and build prototypes to retire key development risks Communicate clearly (written and oral) with other company personnel and the customer as required; documenting analysis, test results, and designs reviews.
- Design of automated optical alignment robotics
- Support root cause analysis on failures
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Clearance
Our ideal candidate will have
- Laser packaging experience
- Robotic automation of optical alignment experience
- Ability to use engineering test and optical lab equipment
- Experience with optical modeling software; Zemax preferred.
- Experience with CAD software package; Solidworks and PDMWorks preferred. Experience with FEA package; ANSYS Structural and Icepak preferred.
- Experience with multimode, single mode and polarization maintaining fiber
- Ability to apply engineering principles and techniques to solve a variety of problems
Specialties may include:
- Optical: Involved with the overall development of optical systems. Coordinates with hardware and software design teams in selecting and qualifying optical components. Develops performance models and test procedures
- Mechanical: Involved with the design, fabrication and modification of mechanical and/or electro mechanical components, sub-systems and systems. May include Mechanical Analysis, Aerodynamics/Fluids, Thermal, Fluid Systems, Mechanical Packaging, or others. Evaluates and recommends design approaches to meet production requirements for new or improved products or services. Investigates solutions to product or process problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related technical field with a minimum of 5 years of experience preferably in opto-mechanical, precision mechanism or laser packaging
- Competent technical expertise and application domain knowledge
- Ability to lead a technical group independently
The expected pay scale for this position is $110,082/year - $163,472/year. Should the level, location, or scope of the position change during the hiring process, the pay scale may be modified accordingly. When extending an offer of employment, DRS Daylight Solutions considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position; any Federal Government contract labor categories and contract wage rates, the candidate’s relevant work experience, education/training, certifications, and key skills; internal equity; and market and business considerations.