DRS Daylight Solutions business provides industry-changing mid-infrared laser light technology for government and commercial markets, including: defense and security; life sciences; and industrial process control. As a mid-IR technology pioneer, Daylight Solutions has delivered more mid-IR systems to more applications world-wide than any other company.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo S.p.A. which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture, which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
DRS Daylight Solutions is a subsidiary of Leonardo DRS. Our mission at DRS Daylight Solutions is to be a leader in developing molecular detection, imaging and illumination systems for use in scientific research, life sciences, industrial process control, and defense applications. Mixed Generation Infrared Countermeasure Laser Systems. Multi-Spectral Beacons for Combat Identification. Sensors for Real-Time Liquid & Gas Phase Analysis. Mid Infrared Chemical Imaging.
At DRS Daylight Solutions, you will be eligible for competitive pay, great benefits, including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k match, 9/80 work schedule, and Tuition Assistance. Our Daylight family-oriented culture allows you to receive hands-on training, professional development, career advancement and exposure to the latest and greatest technology, where our motto is "To protect with Light". Come join the family!
The optical engineer at DRS Daylight Solutions will be part of an engineering team developing novel laser components and transitioning them into products. Incumbent will create python scripts which automate the alignment and testing of laser diode-based lasers and systems. This person will develop automated optical alignment algorithms. Incumbent will be responsible for requirement flow-down, planning and execution of integration and test. Additionally, this person will be solving complex problems requiring an understanding of material science and laser technology and excellent problem-solving skills across the company and contribute to IP, publications, and business development.
- Serve as a laser and optical integration engineer for laser systems ranging from early concepts to product prototypes to initial production units
- Hands-on skill in optical instrumentation and metrology
- Design, build and test novel laser cavities and laser-based systems
- Develop detailed alignment procedures and create robotic scripts to automate alignment of laser systems
- Hands-on experience in the development, prototyping, testing or transfer to production of complex Software/Optical/Mechanical systems
- Use Zemax to design and tolerance laser and optical systems
- Responsible for evaluation of failure modes, conducting root cause analysis and implementation of corrective actions for the company products
- Appreciation and practice for engineering process rigor appropriately applied based on product/process maturity
- Interact effectively and efficiently as part of a multi-member, multi-function team, as well as with customers and suppliers, write reports and contribute peer reviewed publications and invention disclosures
The ideal candidate will have
- Proficient at Python or C++
- Proficient at aligning and integrating complex optical and electrical table setups
MS Office Products
- Experience with machine learning
Knowledgeable of semiconductor laser technology, laser and optical design and modeling, optical components and materials from UV to IR, optical metrology and measurement equipment.
- Able to use Solidworks to create opto-mechanical designs and test setups
Knowledgeable of electronic test equipment for time-domain and frequency-domain measurements, control theory, and signal processing
- Basic knowledge of Zemax Optic Studio ray tracing design software. Working knowledge of both sequential and non-sequential simulations. Laser optical system design experience preferred. Ability to learn how to use merit functions, configurations, tolerance scrips, macros, DLLs, and ZOS-API.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Optical Engineering or related technical field
- Novice technical expertise and application domain knowledge
The expected pay scale for this position is $78,986/year - $112,950/year. Should the level, location, or scope of the position change during the hiring process, the pay scale may be modified accordingly. When extending an offer of employment, DRS Daylight Solutions considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position; any Federal Government contract labor categories and contract wage rates, the candidate’s relevant work experience, education/training, certifications, and key skills; internal equity; and market and business considerations.
Leonardo DRS, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates are equal opportunity employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. #LI-SF1