Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position conceives, designs and prototypes systems and circuits. Activities include documentation, vendor management, prototyping, and transfer to manufacturing. This position requires troubleshooting complex system and electronics problems, and being committed to customer satisfaction. This level builds on experience gained as Electrical Engineer by either obtaining more depth in specific subject area with the expectation that assignments are larger and more complex, or by gaining experience in more subject areas. Although the location of the position is in Blairstown, NJ, up to 10% travel may be required to customer locations and other Thorlabs sites.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design and develop electronics for precision metrology instruments and peripherals
- Develop firmware to control and monitor a number of optical, mechanical and electrical components within one integrated system
- Take a design from an initial concept through prototyping, debugging and manufacturing phases
- Manage project timeline and costs
- Manage component vendors and contract manufacturers
- Troubleshoot and resolve electronics related system issues
- Manage electronics engineering documentation and material specifications
- Develop test fixtures for manufacturing
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- 3+ years’ experience with electronics design for scientific, biotech, medical, or semiconductor instrumentation
- Substantial experience in analog/digital low noise design, simulation and implementation
- Substantial experience in power electronics
- Experience with schematic capture and PCB layout (Altium software a plus)
- Experience with SolidWorks
- Experience with Autodesk Inventor a plus
- Master’s degree in Electronics Engineering or experience in a related field such as Mechatronics and Scientific Instrumentation
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough understanding of embedded hardware, such as microprocessor and microcontroller based control and monitoring circuits
- Knowledge of C/C++ environment is a must
- Proven expertise in troubleshooting and resolving electronic issues in instruments
- Familiarity with design and implementation of optoelectronic circuits and control systems
- Strong communication skills and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in working in a team environment.
- Strong innovation skills.
- Ability to function autonomously with little direction/works well independently of others.