Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The primary responsibility of all NPI (New Product Introduction) Science Writers is to strengthen Thorlabs’ position as a leading manufacturer of Photonics products through the creation of effective presentations and application images that inform and educate the photonics community about Thorlabs’ products and their applications.
Those with the Science Writer role will join a team of highly motivated individuals who have built an industry-leading online resource for our customers and participate in ensuring that new product presentations continue to provide the same depth of layered details to assist with buying decisions.
NPI Science Writers work closely with graphic artists to create presentations. Original content is based on basic information provided by Thorlabs’ engineers.
Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Develop effective new product content and application images in preparation for new product introduction, all while meeting company standards and within tight time constraints.
- Assist non-Newton-based team members with constructing setups for application photos and being on-site to support graphic artists during the photoshoot as needed.
- Update Visual Navigation structure as necessary to support new families/product extensions and improve website usability
- Handles supersessions and associated content updates associated with NPI
- In crafting presentations, aims to make customers efficient when it comes to making a buying decision
- Builds application images that help customers understand how products are utilized within a lab environment
- Guides graphics staff, clearly and effectively communicating desired outcomes so as to obtain the necessary images, videos, and animations for a successful new product launch
- As the “gatekeeper” for product releases, ensures all documentation meets organizational standards (i.e., support documents, drawings adhere to internal guidelines, etc.)
- Structures and organizes the job in close cooperation with business units in the United States and globally
- Collaborates with the web team as necessary to develop tools (e.g., configurators) that are necessary for new product introduction
- Learns and implements best practices for building website content, incorporating search engine optimization tactics as appropriate.
- Partners with Business Intelligence Team to create any necessary Google Ad Campaigns for new product families
- Additional responsibilities may include participating in and leading marketing projects and attending tradeshows
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Laboratory experience beyond basic laboratory courses (e.g., participation in a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU), senior honors project, laboratory work towards a Masters’ or PhD degree, or other similar experience) is highly desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Physics, Optics, Lasers, or a closely related field.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong interpersonal skills for working in a team environment.
- Strong writing and presentation skills in English.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to multitask, be detail oriented, and solve problems, all while under tight time constraints.
- Willing to constantly learn new technologies/products and their applications.