Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position includes designing, prototyping, and troubleshooting electronic circuits and systems. Additional tasks consist of documentation, vendor management, prototyping, and transferring production ready products to manufacturing. A successful candidate for this position keeps apprised of cutting-edge technology, can think outside the box while simultaneously keeping things simple and remains within budget. This candidate will also be responsible for delegating electrical tasks to subordinate electrical engineers. The location of the position is in Sterling, VA--may be required occasionally to undertake duties at other Thorlabs or customer locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design and develop electronics for precision scientific instruments and peripherals
- Take a design from an initial concept through prototyping, debugging, and manufacturing phases
- Manage project timeline and costs
- Manage electronic component vendors and contract manufacturers
- Troubleshoot and resolve electronics related system issues
- Provide circuit simulations when required
- Manage electronics engineering documentation and material specifications
- Develop test plans and fixtures for manufacturing
- Assist and or troubleshoot our production team when problems arise
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- 5 years’ experience with electronics design for motion control, scientific, biotech, medical, or semiconductor instrumentation
- Experience with schematic capture and PCB layout in Altium Designer
- Experience in impedance controlled PBC routing
- Experience in analog/digital low noise design, simulation, and implementation
- Experience in power electronics
- Experience with photo diode or PMT TIA amplifiers is a plus
- MS Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Experience can substitute for MS Degree ( 8+ Years)
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Proven expertise in troubleshooting and resolving electronic issues in instruments
- Familiarity with design and implementation of optoelectronic circuits and control systems
- Strong communication skills and presentation skills
- Team player
- Strong innovation skills.