Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position is responsible for set-up and operation of CNC Machines and manual equipment in compliance with inch and metric drawing specifications. Responsible for the proper use and maintenance of all measuring tools and devices used in inspection of all components. Works under general supervision. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations. There is a $3,000.00 sign on bonus available for this position.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for set-up, changeovers, and operation of CNC machines in compliance with inch and metric drawing specifications.
- May be responsible for operating manual mills, lathes, and other secondary equipment as needed.
- Works independently and inspects his or her own work to the specified standards on the drawings.
- Provides training, troubleshooting assistance and overall direction to other operators and general helpers throughout the day.
- Interacts with management to ensure that the production schedule is being satisfied and informs management when delays are unavoidable.
- General housekeeping in the work area which includes preventative maintenance on the CNC machines.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work-related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Work may be active, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally. While performing the duties, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. Some employees may come into contact with potentially harmful chemicals or fumes, but ventilation systems normally minimize any harmful effects, and the work areas may be noisy at times.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.