Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs Imaging Systems group in Sterling, Virginia, produces state-of-the-art imaging systems for life science applications. We are seeking a talented, experienced Mechanical Design Engineer II to contribute to new product development for our microscope systems and components. The successful candidate will join a cross-functional, global team that develops complex imaging hardware with integral software for image acquisition, processing, system control, and calibration.
The position requires a keen understanding of opto/electro-mechanical systems, precision engineering, and design for manufacturability. The successful candidate will assist in bringing new products from prototype to production, with an emphasis on robust and manufacturable designs in a lean manufacturing facility. The job includes occasional participation in detailed technical discussions with customers, sales and field service members.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Develop opto/electro-mechanical component designs for new products to add to catalog or systems
- Follow prototype designs from conception through manufacture
- Specify and perform the testing required to characterize catalog or system products. This includes technical data such as qualification test procedures, acceptance test procedures, report, testing jigs and fixtures, etc.
- Coordinate the integration of new designs into production
- Responsible for all related production documentation, which includes, bills of material, engineering drawings, testing requirements, tooling, and specification of thin film coatings.
- Provide post-production support. Interact with production personnel to define and solve manufacturing/design issues and implement cost reduction ideas.
- Create and track design documentation
- Coordinate with sales/marketing to develop sales estimates and price/cost information
*The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
Minimum 3 years industrial experience or equivalent in opto/electro-mechanical design
BS in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Optical Systems Engineering, Phyisics or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Skilled in the use of Solidworks 3D CAD software
- Experienced in use of CNC machining equipment and shop capabilities
- Hands-on experience with assembly and trouble-shooting of optical systems
- Integration of subsystems into imaging systems
- Strong project management skills with a deep sense of ownership
- Highly self-motivated, self-directed, team orientated, and exceptionally attentive to detail
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Good verbal & written communication and interpersonal skills