Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position is responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with OEM customers and Key Accounts in a given geographical region. A primary focus of this position will be new business generation, including lead qualification and solution development. Activities include frequent communication with the customer (specifications, pricing, product availability, services, etc), contract negotiation, and coordination of design and manufacturing resources for custom solutions. Key to this role is close engagement with the various business units and entities across the global Thorlabs organization representing extensive manufacturing capabilities.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Identify new opportunities and new markets for the Thorlabs OEM team.
- Increase sales volume of assigned accounts.
- Qualify and understand OEM customer technical needs to lead internal team of experts to deliver on OEM customer projects.
- OEM and Key Account Management
- Dedicated point of contact for the customer
- Ensure that products and services meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Handle all negotiations with OEM customers and Key Accounts
- Be the customer’s advocate within Thorlabs.
- Work with OEM Project Managers, Engineers, and Sales Coordinators to provide customers with custom solutions from project conception to project end–of-life strategies.
- USA point of contact for overseas Thorlabs OEM opportunities involving US manufacturing resources.
- Provides accurate sales forecasting to OEM Sales Manager and helps define strategies for territory and specific market growth.
- Provides market feedback to R&D and MarCom groups.
- Attends tradeshows regularly.
- Manage and maintain pipeline and opportunities in CRM.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in technical sales and/or key account management, preferably with OEM accounts and/or in the photonics industry
- BS in a Photonics related field (Physics, Engineering, BioPhotonics, etc) or equivalent experience. (physics/engineering background required, optics/laser expertise preferred)
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated experience in Microsoft Dynamics, CRM, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point) and communication tools
- Creative sales and business development strategies for lead generation
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in a customer centric environment.
- Ability to work independent as well as part of a team.
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
- Ability to work under time constraints.
- Learning oriented
- Ability to fluently write and speak English
Position based in west coast USA; Bay Area preferred. Travel is expected >50%.