Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The Mechanical Engineer II will support others to meet overall product design objectives as well as complete their own component and subsystem designs which include mechanical and electrical. The engineer is expected to be familiar with using a PLM system to maintain prints and controlled documents. The engineer will work on new designs as well as existing products. The engineer will also work with other mechanical, optical, electrical, and manufacturing engineers to design complex optical fiber processing and inspection systems.
Although the location of the position is in Morganville, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Learn the theory and functionality of Vytran Fiber optic equipment: fiber fusion splicing, cleaving, stripping, prepping, shaping, combining, and inspection.
- Work with Engineering/Sales/Marketing to development appropriate training and marketing material.
- Assists in the preparation of multi-engineering discipline design proposals and documents for applications and/or equipment.
- Perform liaison function between engineering team and all manufacturing operations for any related issues, problems, or improvements.
- Participate in engineering and general design reviews utilizing both subject matter expert and working knowledge skills.
- Assists in the preparation of technical data such as mechanical/electrical qualification test procedures, acceptance test procedures, reports, component maintenance manuals, etc.
- Maintains BOM, documentation, and test procedures.
- Plan moderate complex project or subtasks so they can be tracked and reported on.
- Review designs against competitors’ products to ensure that specifications are relevant and consistent.
- Keep current with newest applications, products, and manufacturing techniques within the industry. Share, discuss, and collaborate while looking for opportunities to implement.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
The employee must grasp, manipulate, or assemble parts and components that are often very small. As a result, they should have a steady hand and good hand-eye coordination. The employee must be capable of occasionally moving objects up to 25 pounds. Employee may come in contact with, but not limited to, solvents and epoxies. Their work environment may be noisy at times. Employee must wear appropriate clothing and protective equipment such as lab coats, glasses and gloves expected of particular locations.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.