Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs, Inc. is looking for a talented and motivated individual to join our growing Laser Division team located in the Baltimore/Washington DC area as the Lead Electrical Design Engineering
Purpose of the Position
This position is responsible for the overall management of the electronics circuit design and development used in our laser products. The successful candidate for this role will have the ability to manage a small team of electrical engineers and to collaborate closely with other engineering teams within the Laser Division. In addition to designing new products, this position will manage all sustaining engineering activities related to electronics throughout the lifecycle of the products.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Manages a small team of electrical engineers to design drive electronics for laser products based on the requirements outlined by the laser engineering teams.
- Allocates electrical engineering resources, as needed, to the active product development projects.
- Guides projects through prototyping, testing, creating bill of material and manufacturing drawings, as part of the New Product Introduction (NPI) process.
- Develops, maintains and communicates project schedules and conducts periodic meetings both with the leadership team and with the product design team.
- Communicates with software and/or firmware engineers, internal or external to the electronics group, on system development and testing throughout the development cycle.
- Makes individual technical contributions to the design and characterization of electrical circuits.
- Manages sustaining engineering of all electrical circuits, including design revisions, replacement component identification, and firmware modifications.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
Minimum 5 years of demonstrated experience designing analog and digital circuits for electronic products.
Engineering management experience or similar leadership role in the industry is preferred.
Experience with the procurement process for PCBs, including the creation of manufacturing drawings and bill of materials.
Experience with electrical design tools, e.g. Altium.
Experience in calculating and simulating circuits.
Experience with embedded micro-controller design.
Hands-on experience with electronic circuit board testing, including commonly-used test equipment, debugging methods, and re-work
BS Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision making skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good planning, prioritizing and organization and multiple priority management skills.
- Strong drive and initiative to make improvements in a variety of areas with a minimum of supervision.
- Strong commitment to personal development and growth