Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
This is a full-time position primarily responsible for providing prompt technical support for all Thorlabs Ultrafast Optoelectronics products and secondarily Thorlabs general portfolio. The work involves solving problems, trouble shooting and working with customers to guide them to the best possible product solutions for their applications and experiments. The position will work closely with Ultrafast Optoelectronic design & production engineers and be exposed to all facets of product design and manufacture.
The position is primarily located in Ann Arbor, MI, but there will also be opportunities to travel to tradeshows, other Thorlabs manufacturing facilities (foreign and domestic), and training events on and offsite.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Supporting all customer inquiries about Thorlabs Ultrafast Optoelectronic portfolio.
- Providing technical support via phone, web chat & e-mail to customers worldwide.
- Demonstrate impeccable, prompt, & accurate communications with customers.
- Analyzing customer data to help with problem solving.
- Maintaining a full library of data sheets, white papers, and FAQ’s for reference.
- Demonstrate expert knowledge and problem-solving abilities for customers.
- Providing live video training for internal groups and external customers.
- Interfacing and assisting other technical support teams around the world on Ultrafast Optoelectronic products.
- Reproducing experimental set ups and creating technical solutions in the lab.
- Assisting with the definition and design of customized product solutions.
- Supporting Sales & Marketing activities by attending Tradeshows and Customer visits.
- Developing marketing materials like test data, white papers, or video for use on our website.
- Contributing to training of new team members on the technical support team worldwide.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Will accept recent college graduate with Bachelor’s Degree. Experience with electronics, optics, mechanics, lasers, and other electrical components a plus.
- BSc, MSc, PhD degree in Optics, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related Engineering field or equivalent work experience.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of Photonics Technology via work or laboratory experience.
- Must be expert user of Windows and MS Office suite of programs.
- Strong communication proficiency.
- Strong social and presentation skills.
- Ability to solve a variety of multi-disciplinary problems.