Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
This position is based in Thorlabs headquarters (Newton, NJ). The position is responsible for reviewing and refining our existing order cycle process. The position will be responsible for helping to digitize and automate the process using the best industry practices and standards. The position will oversee the order cycle process from picking, packing, and shipping and will interface with the freight careers to optimize speed, efficiency, and delivery process. In addition, the position will be responsible to interface with Information Technology teams (IT, ERP, Ecommerce) to align and integrate our existing and future processes and automation. The position will work directly with Logistics, shipping, and customer service team to understand and improve the process and technologies currently in use. The position will be responsible for documentation and reporting of the current input and output and play a vital role in project management and review of the contracts and services. Since the position will be interfacing with internal and external customers they will carry themselves in a customer-centric and professional manner at all times.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Oversee the day-to-day activity of the existing order process cycle
- Review existing order process, document and refine as necessary
- Perform Analysis of operations, workflows, and packaging processes to provide solutions to maximize efficiency and reduce waste.
- Assist Packaging sites with developing and implementing process improvements and technology upgrades that help with minimizing costs and production issues.
- Assist with building process flow models to predict bottlenecks and resources needed for order processing
- Help support the conceptual and detailed design and testing of the automation process
- Prepares presentations and technical reports.
- Understand the architecture and data flow of various interconnected systems
- Provide well-defined and documented business technology solutions
- Debug, troubleshoot, and resolve problems across multiple systems and applications
- Identify solutions that improve both the business and technical users' experience and productivity
- Create dashboards and various reports showing systems and applications KPIs
- Work WCS Development team to support the Software Development Life Cycle process
- Directs planning meetings with the different warehouses, manufacturing operational groups, and supply chain to ensure project coordination from a logistical perspective
- Manages the inbound and outbound process to ensure the software supports our customers’ requirements
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- 5+ years of proven experience in Distribution logistics, Order process life cycle, Order process automation, Enterprise ERP systems, and System Integrations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent with a focus on Order process automation and Integration.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience and understanding of the Order process life cycle
- Experience with order process automation and integration
- Experience with Enterprise ERP systems (MS Dynamics etc)
- Experience with automation, packaging equipment, specifications, qualification/validation process, product/package stability, and packaging components
- Problem-Solving skills – Anticipates and resolves complex problems.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal direction
- Ability to work across boundaries (functional, geographic, external company, etc).
- Thorough technical understanding of the quality systems and regulatory requirements,
- Project management experience
- Ability to prioritize, plan and delegate tasks
- knowledge of MS Office products
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team-based and high-speed environment
- Ability to work weekends and/or travel internationally on occasion
- Demonstrable ability to lead and manage projects
- Proficient in standard logistics software
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills