Mechanical Engineer - 97540
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Engineering Division (http://engineering.lbl.gov/) has immediate openings for Mechanical Engineers to join the team.
This is a matrix position within Engineering that supports the various user facilities and projects at LBNL. Supported facilities and projects include, but are not limited to; the Advanced Light Source (https://als.lbl.gov/), the Advanced Light Source Upgrade (https://als.lbl.gov/als-u/overview/) project, DUNE (https://www.dunescience.org/), and CMB-S4 (https://cmb-s4.org/); and engineering support for the wide array of science and technology at LBNL (https://www.lbl.gov/programs/our-vision/).
LBNL was based on a principle of team science. It is the premise that everyone on the team or in support of the team is a contributor. No idea is ignored. All ideas are considered and included in the discussion. It's an exciting time to join our growing team!
Under the initial direction of a lead support person, you will independently perform a variety of complicated mechanical engineering tasks, including design and development activities in support of specific scientific and engineering programs, taking responsibility for sub-projects and sub-groups within major projects or research programs at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL).
These activities may include conceptualization, design, planning, implementation, and completion of assigned problems, tasks, and projects, which have a high degree of complexity and range in scope. Moreover, the Mechanical Engineer will conduct, coordinate, and/or make significant contributions to large projects or multiple small projects utilizing independent judgment and decision making while working within schedule and budget constraints.
What You Will Do:
• Using extensive knowledge and experience of mechanical engineering concepts and tools, perform as a fully qualified and experienced professional engineer and group-level expert/resource.
• Work on projects independently, or in teams, using professional engineering concepts to develop practical and creative solutions to complicated problems whose scope is typically in known technology with incorporation of new technology.
• Take initiative to assist others in resolving issues outside their immediate area of responsibility.
• Participate in discussions of the engineering components of scientific initiatives, working with other divisions and scientists in problem-solving and defining procedures and goals.
• Independently prepare design specifications, analyses and recommendations for presentation and approval of scientific and management personnel.
• Formulate cost and schedule data associated with such components and prepare technical or progress reports.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
• Supervise the work of technical and professional staff.
• May assume a critical role in a particular component of larger projects/programs.
• Plan, organize and conduct technical projects/programs involving the design, fabrication, modification, and evaluation of mechanical components.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
If hired at a level 2:
This full salary range of this position is between $7,469 to $12,600 per month and is expected to pay between a targeted range of $8,401 to $10,268 per month depending upon candidates' full skills, knowledge, and abilities, including education, certifications, and years of experience.
If hired at a level 3:
This full salary range of this position is between $9,135 to $15,414 per month and is expected to pay between a targeted range of $10,277 to $12,560 per month depending upon candidates' full skills, knowledge, and abilities, including education, certifications, and years of experience.
If hired at a level 4:
This full salary range of this position is between $11,085 to $18,707 per month and is expected to pay between a targeted range of $12,472 to $15,242 per month depending upon candidates' full skills, knowledge, and abilities, including education, certifications, and years of experience.
• This is a full-time 2 year, term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
• This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs and the skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA 94720.
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://220.127.116.11/counter.php?id=246633 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit https://covid.lbl.gov/ for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.