Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Product Support Engineer is responsible for support of sales engineers and customers on imaging systems, including but not limited to confocal and multiphoton microscopes. An in-depth knowledge of light microscopy, laser scanning microscopy and their biomedical applications is essential. The Product Support Engineer will provide pre- and post-sales support including configuring optical systems, generating sales quotes, developing optical table layouts, system troubleshooting, applications development, and customer support/training. The candidate will also provide technical, and applications support at tradeshows, courses, and demonstrations. Although the location of the position is in Sterling, VA, the candidate may occasionally be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Support sales engineers with optical system configuration to meet customer requirements
- Review all sales quotation requests and confirm accuracy prior to submission to customers
- Create non-standard system configurations to meet customer requirements
- Develop final optical table layouts for use during system installation by Field Service Engineers at customer sites
- Provide technical support to existing customers
- Provide technical and application support at tradeshows, courses, and demonstrations
- Manage and Oversee Imaging Systems Demo Engineer whose responsibilities include:
- Build, QC, and repair microscopes from components to finish.
- Ensure all demo equipment are in good working condition.
- Attend technical conferences and trade shows to install, operate and present the Company’s demo systems.
- Write documents describing protocols, policies, standards for use, maintenance, and repair of medical equipment.
- Advise and assist in the application of instrumentation in clinical environments
- Evaluate the safety, efficiency and effectiveness of biomedical equipment.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- 3+ years of Optical Engineering
- 3+ Years of technical support experience
- 3+ Customer support experience
- Experience, knowledge and expertise with ERP systems
- Data mining and analytic skills
- Minimum of Bachelor of Science
- Advanced degree preferred
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficient in the use of MS Word, MS Access and Excel
- Good verbal & written communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work independently and remain on task and deliver on time
- Highly self-motivated, self-directed, team orientated, and exceptionally attentive to detail
- Must be process improvement and team oriented individual