Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Job activities include new process/product development, new equipment introduction, process improvement, equipment improvement, process maintenance, equipment maintenance, lean manufacturing projects, and maintaining fab documentation. This position will support the optical coating of semiconductor devices; cleaving, dicing, and picking of semiconductor materials; and the testing of optical devices.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Ability to utilize all formats of material deposition: E-beam, IAD, Magnetron Sputtering.
- Ability to utilize cleave, dice , and pick equipment.
- Introduce new products, processes, equipment, and material technologies into optical coating fab in timely manner, using effective design input, evaluation testing, and project management.
- Utilize continuous improvement tools, project management skills, team leadership, and basic engineering skills to 1) reduce manufacturing costs, 2) improve/sustain tight control of wafer fab manufacturing process.
- Maintain/sustain production coating processes and coating equipment. This includes executing necessary PMs on the equipment.
- Provide product line support in creating/maintaining all development and production routes used by the optical coating fab and investigating product failures both within and outside of the coating fab. Provide training to operations related to the routes.
- Provide engineering equipment ownership via creating/maintaining equipment operation procedures, training personnel, setting up quality indicator procedures, developing effective PMs, and supporting maintenance/ops team during equipment down events.
- Support operations team in writing required documentation and leading various coating fab improvement projects (e.g. Lean Manufacturing, 5S).
- Support engineering team in maintaining and improving our Manufacturing Execution System (MES) and related components. Set up MES reports for operations team that support daily production.
- Monitor coating performance. Make changes necessary to keep coatings in required specifications.
- Coordinate coating schedule with operations for efficient operations.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Experience with optical coating processes including E-beam, IAD, Magnetron Sputtering processes is desired.
- Experience in test/characterization of optical coatings (e.g., FTIR, ellipsometer, photo-spectrometer) is desired.
- Experience with CAD tools (e.g., SolidWorks) is desired.
- Experience with statistical process improvement methods is desired.
- Experience with high vacuum systems is desired.
- A minimum of bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Physics. A combination or education and work experience may be considered to fulfill minimum educational requirements.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- General knowledge of semiconductor fab tools and processes
- Statistical Data Analysis.
- Exposure to 1 or more some of the following software/programming languages: SQL, Visual Basic, C++, Matlab, JMP, R, and Microsoft Office.
- Semiconductor device physics, especially optoelectronic devices.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems.
- Statistical Process Control (SPC).