Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs is looking for a skilled, motivated, full stack Web Developer to join our team! Thorlabs is a customer-centric photonics tools manufacturing company that places heavy focus on adding new products to its already extensive catalog. You will be joining the small team that is responsible for our internal product development website that features a collaborative forum, new product design guidance, and sales insights. As a member of this compact team, you will work alongside the lead developer to address bugs, design and incorporate new features, and perform general application maintenance. Your primary focus will be to work with the team to create and test robust software solutions. Success in the role will be demonstrated by writing clean, scalable, and testable code using standard HTML/CSS practices while incorporating data from back-end databases and services, creating user-friendly designs while still meeting the design specifications and requirements, and working to keep the website components up to date with current technologies and best practices. This position also requires strong interpersonal and communications skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team. The location of the position is in Newton, NJ, but we will consider a remote role, with travel to our corporate headquarters on a semiannual basis.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Write, maintain, optimize, and test code that accurately reflects design specifications and requirements.
- Stay current with the latest web applications and programming practices.
- Ensure code is clean and organized, meets industry standards, and is compatible with all browsers and devices.
- Understand and integrate back-end data using SQL and APIs.
- Understand and maintain the website architecture.
- Monitor the performance of internal systems.
- Identify and promptly address bugs in collaboration with the team.
- Suggest, design, and implement features to enhance the user experience and address expressed needs or pain points.
- Adhere to all code compliance requirements including version control and code security practices.
- Comfortably navigate the development, staging, and production environments.
- Communicate effectively with the team.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Greater than 2 years of experience in web programming.
- Experience using SQL to update and retrieve data.
- Proficient in version control software, such as Git or Mercurial.
- Working knowledge of front- and back-end web application architectures.
- Familiarity with GraphQL and/or Node.js is a plus.
- Experience working in the Azure cloud is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field OR
- Equivalent experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of current web best practices.
- Ability to follow instructions and work in a team environment.
- Capacity to multi-task and manage multiple priorities under time constraints
- Ability to self-start and work independently
- Ability to analyze and troubleshoot problems on the fly