Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position is responsible for efforts and contributions towards improving the Total Quality of the MBU products and processes. They will help to identify, establish, implement, and continuously improve processes and procedures to ensure the quality of all MBU components, finished goods, and internal processes by engaging all MBU employees to participate in delivering quality to the customer. Key elements to the TQM approach are metrics to drive operational improvements, total employee involvement, achieving quality through process, communication (internal and external), and an integration of all steps in the customer value chain. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Foster, manage, and integrate quality improvement opportunities within the production, design, and supply cycles.
- Utilize a focused, systematic approach to quality through strategy, data, and effective communication.
- Train, motivate, and teach employees on customer-centric, common goals and high quality standards.
- Elevate product quality and profitability through manufacturing/production improvements, supply chain management, and reduction of waste and defects.
- Adapt quality teams in each department and facilitate their goals toward improving quality.
- Establish and implement process-centered procedures, principles, and performance measures.
- Use leadership to achieve and provide the highest level of internal and external customer service.
- Promote and reinforce quality awareness, purpose, and improvement training on a regular basis.
- Recommend equipment and personnel teams in support of TQM.
- Assess supplier capabilities and monitor supplier quality to ensure desired levels of performance.
- Represent and coordinate necessary personnel for internal, customer and third party MBU quality system audits.
- Implement performance measurements necessary to effectively evaluate organizational performance and trends in product quality, services, customer satisfaction, and the cost of poor quality.
- Monitor and publish quality data.
- Use results of performance evaluation to target improvement efforts.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a related position preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality, or equivalent work experience
- ASQ Certification Strongly Desired (one or more of the following CMQ/OE, CQA, CQE, CSSBB, CSSGB) or equivalent experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong proficiency with MS Excel, MS Office, and ERP software is mandatory.
- Experience with Quality in a Manufacturing, R&D, and New Product Development Environment.
- Experience with quality improvement tools and techniques (i.e., Lean, Six Sigma, Statistical Process Control, and Failure Mode & Effects Analysis).
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere and comply with high quality standards.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills