Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Seeking a motivated engineer to design and development advanced LASER and image scanning devices.This position will participate in all development phases including concept, design, prototype, and system qualification. Related technologies include optics, precision beam steering, motion control, magnetics, material processing and medical imaging. Work with a diversly talented team to develop products that lead the market in performance and value. This position requires troubleshooting complex analog and digital electronics, electro-optical-mechanical systems, and being committed to customer satisfaction. This position offers ability to work closely with mechanical and optical disciplines. The location of the position is in Londonderry, NH, up to 10% travel may be required to customer locations and other Thorlabs sites.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Algorithms and coding for high performance servo drivers using DSP and FPGA
- Design and develop electronics for precision scientific instruments and peripherals
- Develop firmware for precision control of multi-axis galvanometer servo systems
- Take a design from an initial concept through prototyping, debugging and manufacturing phases
- Troubleshoot and resolve electronics and firmware related system issues
- Manage engineering documentation and functional specifications
- Develop custom test hardware for R&D and manufacturing
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- 3+ years' experience with electronics design for scientific, industrial, biotech, medical, or semiconductor instrumentation
- Control systems, dynamic signal processing, PID and state space control
- Substantial experience in analog/digital servos, simulation and implementation
- LASER projection, fast beam steering, LIDAR, OCT, imaging
- Design work with Xilinx, Altera FPGA, Sharc DSP, Zynq processors
- Proficiency in Matlab/Simulink, other simulation tools
- Master's degree in Physics, Engineering or related field
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficiency in high performance servo control systems
- Knowledge of C/C++, Python, Verilog, VHDL
- Proven expertise in troubleshooting and resolving electronic, firmware issues in instruments, embedded systems
- Familiarity with design and implementation of optoelectronic circuits, motors and control systems
- Experience with test and debugging of DSP and FPGA
- Strong communication skills and presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience in working in a team environment
- Desire to innovate and contribute to new technology development
- Ability to function autonomously with little direction/works well independently of others