Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
This position is responsible for design and implementation of optical thin films; providing support for coating manufacturing, process development and diagnostics; as well as providing development for other engineering/manufacturing staff.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- New film design and optimization of current optical thin film designs using a thin film design software to innovate and optimize new and existing optical coatings for various coating technologies
- Technical support to thin film manufacturing processes and tools in day-to-day operation
- Perform a R&D project by utilizing resources and apply design concept to manufacturing.
- Provide technical knowledge and support to coating equipment operation and diagnostics
- Technical support on proper substrate handling and integration into coating environment
- Operation and utilization of metrology instruments for thin film characterization
- Identifying and diagnosing issues in the production chain, as well as collecting and preparing supporting data, especially with regards to coating equipment and processes
- Developing and maintaining documentation for thin film processes
- Providing guidance and leadership to other staff, which may include but not be limited to: technicians and junior engineers
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- 5+ years of experience of optical thin film coating experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experience with thin film software and a good understanding of optical thin film design
- Strong experience maintaining and troubleshooting coating equipment.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Ability and desire to work in a team environment and to interact with production supervisor, technicians and design engineers.
- Computer proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint)
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Physics, Materials Science, or one of the Engineering disciplines.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong problem solving/analysis skills.
- Strong sense of confidentiality & ethical conduct.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to take direction and follow procedure.