Who We Are
Tesseract’s mission is to democratize healthcare delivery to everyone on a global scale. We are reinventing medical devices to leverage the health information in the human eye and championing a new era of healthcare by creating portable, affordable, easy to use, connected devices for early disease detection and monitoring. Tesseract is well-funded and recently raised a series B round of $80M.
We are part of 4Catalyzer - a rapidly growing health-tech incubator founded by Dr. Jonathan Rothberg, an award-winning scientist and highly successful serial entrepreneur. Our 4Catalyzer sister companies include Butterfly Network, the first whole-body Ultrasound-on-ChipTM, and Hyperfine, the first FDA-cleared portable MRI. We are fostering a culture of technical excellence and positive teamwork to solve real-world problems that help improve healthcare for billions of people around the world.
Joining Tesseract is the opportunity to redesign the future of healthcare through the power of technology. Join us on this journey to maximize global impact, motivated by the idea that our products will change lives, including the ones of people you love.
What We Live By
- Patients First: We are driven to make products that will improve people’s lives.
- Data-Driven: We search for the best solutions: objective, backed by data, and optimized for speed, simplicity and scale.
- Team-Oriented: We collaborate with and support each other every step of the way.
What We Offer
- Fully covered medical insurance plan, and dental & vision coverage. As a health-tech company, we place great worth on our team’s well-being.
- Competitive salaried compensation & equity. You should feel appropriately valued and have a stake in our success!
- 401(k) plan. Everyone should be encouraged to save for their retirement adventures!
- Flexible PTO policy and remote/hybrid work arrangements. We believe in taking personal responsibility for managing our own time, workload and results.
- Free onsite meals & kitchen stocked with snacks at our Guilford, CT campus.
- Annual "Improve Your Work Environment" stipend. We support what you need to be your best self when at work!
- Professional development reimbursement. Let's grow together!
- More exciting employee perks... but most importantly, the opportunity to build a revolutionary healthcare product and save millions of lives!
What You Will Be Doing
As our OCT Engineer / Scientist you will be the driving force behind incorporating optical coherence tomography within our advanced imaging team, helping the company achieve its mission of using the eye as a window to health for democratizing healthcare. In this role you will establish our OCT technology roadmap from the ground up, defining, building and demonstrating core concepts bench to bedside. The position will work closely with a team of optical, mechanical, electrical and software engineers to design, prototype and transfer novel imaging techniques to manufacturing.
As part of our team, your core responsibilities will be to:
- Design, build and test various OCT systems from the ground up
- Define requirements and drive the technology selection of the device development roadmap
- Guide the cost, performance and development time tradeoffs
- Generate new intellectual property for the company
- Team and goal oriented while embracing shared values and being excited about team’s mission to democratize healthcare
What We Are Looking For
Baseline Skills, Experiences, & Attributes:
- MS in Physics, Optics, Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or related field, or BS with 5 years of relevant industry experience
- 10 years of experience in OCT and OCT-A technology (SD, SS, FF, PIC)
- 5 years of experience in ophthalmic imaging devices and applications. Strong background in ophthalmic optics required
- Demonstrated ability to build and control OCT systems from the ground up
- Strong understanding of practical aspects of optical systems, including understanding of opto-mechanics systems, light sources including lasers, SLDs, VCSEL, light sensors including CCDs, APDs and others
- Fluency in utilization of optical design tools like Zemax, Code V as well as DAQ and data analysis tools like C++, Python or LabView
- Demonstrated teamwork ability including working harmoniously in cross-functional teams to achieve company level objectives is a must
- Fun character & team player
- PhD in Physics, Optics, Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or related field with 5 years of relevant industry experience
- Demonstrated excellence in one or more of the following areas is required: optical coherence tomography, ophthalmic imaging systems, optical design, optical system fabrication, fiber optic systems and components, broadband light source development, spectroscopy, image processing and programming
- Experience with commercial medical device development, including clinical research, regulatory filing, and product launch, ideally in the ophthalmic field
- Proven track record of performing research projects and building optical systems or prototypes for execution of scientific or industrial research
- Hands-on experience in the laboratory set-up and optical instrumentation are essential for this position
- Must have clear oral and written presentation/communication skills
- Ability to work independently to conceive and manage new projects