Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position oversees a group of professionals in the introduction of imaging system related mechanical components, electronic components, subassemblies, products or system by performing the following duties. Although the location of the position is in Sterling, VA, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Leads a team of employees and prioritizes work.
- Reads and follows plans, material lists and guidelines and distributes jobs appropriately.
- Fulfills all regular production duties and completes required paperwork in a timely manner.
- Organizes leads and trains employees to complete products within established guidelines and periods.
- Co-ordinate and monitor new product deliverable goals.
- Manage new product introduction into production planning and assembly schedules.
- Monitor production, including selection of manufacturing methods and operation of product designs.
- Work with engineering and production teams to implement operating procedures.
- Functional product testing and characterization.
- Research, design, evaluate, and maintain mechanical products, systems and processes to meet production design requirements.
- Pre-production product validation
- Develop and test models of alternate designs and processing methods to assess feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications and necessity of modification.
- Consolidate product feedback, compatibility testing and specification adjustments to enhance the design of customer inspired products and new product lines.
- Complies with all company policies, procedures, and safety requirements, including crewmember discipline and documentation.
- Ensures management needs are met and maintained.
- Participates in interviews as needed.
- Reviews individuals' performance.
- Advises planners or Product Line Managers of potential missed dates.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.