Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The Product Compliance Manager is part of a global team focused on the compliance of our ever-expanding product portfolio. The position requires collaboration across all Thorlabs global entities to provide guidance and support as it relates to new and existing compliance regulations and standards. This is a challenging role that requires good administrative and communication skills. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, there may be an occasional need to travel to other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Serve as the US subject matter expert within the global compliance team for new and existing product compliance regulations, guidance documents, and standards such as FCC, CDRH, and NRTL
- Provide regulatory guidance and interpretation based on application to ensure product compliance throughout the product lifecycle
- Stay current with changes to regulatory and agency requirements, and recommend actions required to maintain compliance of active products
- Collaborate on the development and maintenance of an educational presentation explaining product compliance requirements for the Thorlabs community e.g., Global Compliance Page on SharePoint
- Improve the integration of the compliance requirements into the product development process, including creation of required forms and documents
- Provide engineers guidance to determine applicable testing requirements for new and legacy products based on relevant regulations
- Review accuracy and completion of internal compliance tests as well as those performed at accredited testing laboratories
- File and maintain records such as technical data files
- Ensure that safety and compliance requirements are met in aspects of a product such as labeling and manuals
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- 5 years Mechanical, electrical knowledge or experience in a similar compliance position is required.
- 2 + years Project and Product management required.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, electrical engineering or related field or equivalent working experience.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Working knowledge of the following preferred:
- Low Voltage Directive
- Machinery Directive
- EMC Directive
- Excellent communications, collaboration, planning and organizational skills
- Can do attitude; self-motivated to achieve
- Good technical writing skills
- Ability to interpret international standards
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities