Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The Senior Network Engineer role utilizes extensive hands-on experience in designing, building, and supporting resilient cutting-edge technology in our site-based and cloud-based network infrastructure. You will lead the network operations and work closely with and provide support to Global IT members and their clients. Responsible for building and maintaining strong relationships with vendors and others throughout the organization and able to thrive in the ever-changing work environment.
Essential Job Functions include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in the design and development process from definition to deployment.
- Plan, Architect, Deploy and Manage our site-based network architecture and cloud services
- System troubleshooting and problem-solving across platform and application domains - will be expected to participate in on-call escalations to troubleshoot customer facing issues.
- Work with local/remote teams to support the delivery, deployment, and operation of network services.
- Proactive development of monitoring solutions for cloud-based network environment
- Proactive identification and reactive troubleshooting of issues that arise with the network and escalate to manage service providers or other 3rd party vendor support when necessary.
- Ensures that security standards, practices, and policies are incorporated into all network architecture.
- Needs to be highly available and on-call for production outages.
- Perform active monitoring of relevant services
- Drive automation to reduce failures, manual tasks and therefore improving overall service performance, stability, and availability.
- Extensive technical experience configuring and applying best practice to LANs, including configuration of Cisco routers and switches (Catalyst and Nexus), Arista switches, and NetScalers
- Extensive knowledge of WAN/SD-WAN Technologies - Carrier circuits, MetroE, routing protocols (BGP)
- LAN and Cloud-based security solutions - Cisco and/or Fortigate firewalls, Cisco ISE, VPNs
- A specialist in on-premise and/or Cloud-based Enterprise Wireless (Cisco or Arista preferable)
- Azure-specific networking skills: VNet, VPN, ExpressRoute, WVD Direct Route
- Azure security concepts: Azure Firewalls, NSG, WAF
- Consultative skills, including the ability to understand business requirements, identify risks and make recommendations for best practice design
- The ability to document and conduct knowledge transfer to internal staff
- Solid project management skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills both verbal and written
- Self-starter requiring minimal supervision
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing priorities and requirements
- Experience with standard change management and configuration policies
- 5+ years’ experience of strong Enterprise-level networking with routing/switching configuration/diagnostic in Global Network infrastructure design delivery of WAN, LAN, and Firewall
- 3+ years of proven work experience designing, deploying and managing Enterprise-class public cloud connectivity solutions leveraging Azure cloud network services
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or equivalent fields in IT or equivalent experience
- Occasional global travel required supporting corporate offices.
- Occasional weekend maintenance
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.