Folio Photonics is a dynamic startup company focused on developing a multi-terabyte multilayer fluorescent optical disc with a decades long shelf- life, small environmental footprint, and low total cost of ownership. This represents a significant and much needed breakthrough for the archival and nearline data storage industry. Folio technology's benefits include: lowest industry price per gigabyte; lower datacenter costs by reducing electricity required to spin disks and cool space; reduced rates of re-archiving previously archived data, and giving users fast access to more data for analysis, trend spotting, and informed decision making. Our team is composed of talented individuals that work to bring this technology to market.
Optical Engineer Immediate Opening
Candidates at all levels will be considered. Salary and title commensurate with experience.
Location: Folio Photonics; Solon, OH or Longmont, CO
Job Type: Full time
Folio Photonics is a dynamic startup company focused on developing a multi-terabyte multilayer fluorescent optical disc with a decades long shelf-life, small environmental footprint, and low total cost of ownership. This technology represents a significant and much needed breakthrough for the archival and nearline data storage industry. The research and development team possess the diverse range of skills needed to bring the optical media as well as the optical pickup and optical disc drive to market. The technology development requires the efforts of diverse disciplines: chemistry, physics, materials and polymer science and engineering, as well as optical, mechanical, computer, electronic, firmware, and software engineering. Our team is composed of talented individuals that that thrive in a high-tech, interdisciplinary environment.
The Optical Engineer will work on system level and component level design, modeling, construction, and test of the optical pickup unit (OPU) for the optical drive needed to read and write data on our multilayer optical films. The candidate will collaborate with external partners as well as our servo, electrical, and opto-mechanical engineers to develop an advanced, state of the art OPU. These tasks will require creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Design, construct, align, and test the OPU for focusing, tracking, writing, and reading on Folio’s fluorescence and/or reflective multilayer films, which involves high precision mechanical infrastructure and motion controls for read/write and focus and tracking servo functions
- Collect, compile, and present data, for internal use and to show progress to attract investment
- Development of optical and optomechanical test setups, test protocols, and reports
- Display good interpersonal skills to work with our cross- functional team
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic with desire to deliver results
- Management opportunity for qualified candidates
- Master’s degree or higher in Optical Engineering or related fields
- Mastery of lens design and optical design software platforms such as Zemax or Code V
- Experience in design, construction, and alignment of optical and optomechanical systems
- Experience with OPU design for Optical Disc drives is a plus
Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Folio Photonics is an equal opportunity employer.