Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
The Thorlabs Laser Division NJ seeks to hire an Engineering Manager with more than three years of experience in managing advanced design teams in the photonics field. The successful candidate will lead a multi-disciplinary and matrixed team to design free-space laser and laser-related products.
The Thorlabs Laser Division is a dynamically growing Division within the Thorlabs organization. Split over three locations, NJ, MD and CO, the Laser Division focuses on advanced laser and amplifier design and manufacturing with an emphasis on ultrafast and non-linear technologies.
Thorlabs is a privately held, vertically integrated company with offices and manufacturing locations in 6 countries. Thorlabs employs approximately 2500 employees worldwide, and takes pride in the fact that its roots go back to Bell Labs.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Directs product conceptualization, design and verification.
- Manages team of 4-6 engineers, providing performance feedback and coaching.
- Allocates work within team and sets priorities and milestones for concurrent development projects and ensures the engineering department is meeting its goals.
- Manages sustaining engineering/continuous improvement efforts on released laser and accessory products throughout the lifecycle of the products.
- Technical interface with key customers.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- This role requires at least 3 years’ experience managing a team of engineers
- Technical degree in Physics or Photonics-related Engineering with at least 6 years of industry experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Intimate knowledge of laser design, dispersion, and non-linear optics
- Broad knowledge of opto-mechanical design
- Basic understanding of photonic-related electronics like temperature control, laser diode driver, rf-detection, and amplification
- Proven leadership acumen
- Strong communication skills, particularly with highly technical content
- Effectively handles multiple projects and competing priorities
- Some travel required.